Question Can you insure a newly unlocked phone??

ross1204

Standard Member
I am just wondering if anyone has had an experience of companies turning people away because the phone has been recently unlocked?

Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

stevos

Distinguished Member
I think it would depend on how it was unlocked. If it was properly unlocked with a unlock code, then there should be no reason for an insurer declining you and it would be unfair practice.

If it had been unlocked via messing with the firmware, then it would be reasonable for them to decline it, as the device is no longer original state, similar to chipping a car.

ross1204

Standard Member
Wel
I think it would depend on how it was unlocked. If it was properly unlocked with a unlock code, then there should be no reason for an insurer declining you and it would be unfair practice.

If it had been unlocked via messing with the firmware, then it would be reasonable for them to decline it, as the device is no longer original state, similar to chipping a car.

Yeah that makes total sense. I did unlock it via a code from some kiddy on eBay so not entirely sure if that counts as messing with firmware. He just sent us a code and it worked. I believe I could of waited 30 days for Vodafone to send me the code and do it that way but I didn't think this way would of caused any issues with insuring it.

stevos

Distinguished Member
It should be fine.

Worst case you can just say it came that way.

Insurance law states that insurers can't decline claims for actions that had nothing to do with the claimed event. For example, if the insurance policy required you had a fire alarm, they can't decline a theft claim, because clearly a fire alarm wouldn't have had any connection to the claim. They can only do it, if you lie on the application form, so if they asked if it was unlocked and you said no, then they could decline any future claim no matter what.

Unfortunately I work in insurance and I know that some insurers are a little trigger happy when declining claims, but you would be in your right to push back.

ross1204

Standard Member
It should be fine.

Worst case you can just say it came that way.

Insurance law states that insurers can't decline claims for actions that had nothing to do with the claimed event. For example, if the insurance policy required you had a fire alarm, they can't decline a theft claim, because clearly a fire alarm wouldn't have had any connection to the claim. They can only do it, if you lie on the application form, so if they asked if it was unlocked and you said no, then they could decline any future claim no matter what.

Unfortunately I work in insurance and I know that some insurers are a little trigger happy when declining claims, but you would be in your right to push back.

Thanks Stevos been a great help in making me understand which is the best course of action.

Much appreciated. All the best.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom