Can you help with my PS3 sound????????

PKM999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a PS3 which I run through a Sony HT-SF1300 system. It has been running fine since I got the system in October last year but last night when I switched it on it came up saying it detected a HDMI lead connected and did I want to use it - I have only had an HDMI in there since I got the sound system and had not touched it! - i said yes and since then the sound keeps dropping out if that's the right term - I get, say, 3 seconds of sound then 1 second missing over and over and over and over again - it drives you mad and there's no way you can use it.

I thought maybe the lead had developed a fault so I swapped that over - no different.

I put it into a different input on the sound system - no difference and sky etc. work fine in all inputs

I put the HDMI direct from the PS3 to the TV and it works fine - except I want it through the sound system!!

Any ideas?

Check that the sound output from the PS3 is set to PCM , because according to the specs for the amp thats the best way to set it. It cannot handle a lot of other formats.
Either way try changing these settings and see if you get something that works.The PS3 has a lot of options here.

HT-SF1300 (HTSF1300) : Home Theatre and hi fi : Sony

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I have tried playing with the settings to no avail - not sure why these would be affected anyway as I was using it the night before and had not changed anything.

I thought the PS3 had just 'gone faulty' but the fact it worked direct to the TV confused me.

(on a side issue the remote for my HT-SF1300 has stopped working and I'm going to get it exchanged so in the mean time I can't alter many settings on this only on PS3 - I used to always buy Sony cos it never went wrong - guess they don't make them like they used to!

The HDMI features of that particular amp are limited , it does not have the full HDMI feature set that you find on most amps these days and certainly is not capable of supporting all the HDMI feature set from the PS3 so a change of amp may be the way to go.

This doesn't explain why it has worked fine for the last 3 months though....................

I've put the sound out through optical & hdmi for video straight to T.V. and it works ..................just got to re-train the other half on how to get a DV on for the kids while I'm at work!

You will only get dd and dts over optical, to take full advantage of ps3 you should connect to amp with hdmi. You'll then get hd audio (dthd / dts hd ma), as well as dd and dts, if you output lpcm.

This is because ps3 can decode all audio formats and output uncompressed (lpcm). Lpcm over hdmi is the only way to get hd audio from ps3.

Not sure what andy meant by the amp not supporting the hdmi features of ps3. The only thing the amp can't do is take hd audio (dthd / dts hd ma) as bitstream but ps3 can't output that anyway.

Hdmi bitstream would give same as optical - dd and dts.
Hdmi lpcm would give dd, dts, dd+, dthd, and dts hd ma.
The ps3 outputs all the above and the amp takes it all. It'll take whatever the ps3 can throw at it afaik.

I think you need to reset your amp and ps3, and redo all your settings - ensure you're outputting lpcm over hdmi in video settings. Redo your sound settings too, select hdmi, then auto.

If this still doesn't fix it try narrowing the problem down, is it the ps3 or amp etc.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom