Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can you help with my next upgrade (speakers for 2011) ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mogli, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi all,

Well at the moment i have a 2011/656 2*601 1*lcr60 and 2*Kef Surrounds..

Now that i have my 2011 i feel that my 601's just dont do it justice imo. I had planned to upgrade the 601's for some time now but as i bought a 2011 have set the budget higher in order to get a good jump in performance. I know in a perfect world i would have a seperate stereo and AV amp but firstly i dont have the space and i feel the 2011 does quite a good job.

I am looking to upgrade the front 601's. I am interested in the CDM1NT's (which i have arranged a demo of on Friday) and possibly the 603's but as i will be buying a sub at the end of july i am moving away from the idea of floorstanders. So i am looking for a pair of very nice standmounts for around £750 - £800.

I dont mind upgrading my centre at a later date as i could quite easily push it to the rear with my 601's so i am not averse to trying new brands just would like some opinions/reccomendations on anything i should demo? But i do like the sound from B&W and my current heading is into there range...

Plus in the realms of HC what is the stance on floorstanders/standmounts?

I do listen to alot of music ranging from soul-rnb - jazz - classical composition - dance and would appreciate speakers that would give a good warm sound with good imaging if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

Mogli

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I recommend you Listen to the 603's if you like the B&W sound you cant go far wrong, they are well suited to AV use and cheaper than the CDM1's which may be a bit revealing for an AV amp (not sure I have not listened), you will also have more money for the sub. My only criticism of the 603 is that they can be little bass heavy and need a good amp to control them hence my MA6100's so make sure the heavy bungs are in the back.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mogli i had yama5+yam ax592+m/shorts speakers 21/2 way 20-60hz and all sources tuner/cds were playable although not brilliant depending on cd quality eg genisis/dire straights/simply red/led zepplin/ not into classical or jazz.

i decided to go for one box av/sterio system at the time there was not much avaliable that was not megabucks so opted for 3802 , then decided to "upgrade speakers"

heard kefq1/mission m51/bw601s3 ,then cdm1nts the cdms were better sounding/looked good etc, not suprissing big cost differance, choose cdm1nts,lcr60,601s3 as surrounds.

only tried with cds eagles &m/knopflers golden heart these sounded good with cdm1nts, shop demo.

the cdms are very detailed and will show up a poor recording especially female voices/bands / and most of my older cds are not really playable, i did not notice this because of the cds i tried in shop.

if you like jazz/classical take a WIDE selection of cds to try with cdms to see if they suite, or something with pianos etc

i have the naim classical cd free with hifi world good quality i would assume , does not sound very pleasing with cdms.

the 3802 has quite a warmish sound ,not heard a 2011 so not got much idea

4. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for the replys chaps :smashin:

Pwiles: I just called the shop and asked him to line up some 603's along side the 602's and CDM's. My only gripe (and its not really a major one) is that as i am planning to buy a CHT10 (uncle eric!) i dont think i need the added slam of the 603's. I listen to alot of music and i suppose i have got to weigh up the imaging of the cdm's against the overall sound of the 603's. Plus if they would be a tad too overpowering for my flat :confused:

Mick: I would say the 2011 is a little bright but it seems to produce good sound with my 601's which are known to be overly harsh on trebble so i hope the refinement of the cdm's should make a difference.

I will definitely take a good selection of cd's with me. I have a good 10-12 already in my mind :cool:

I think i may even get him to hook up b&w sub as that should compare quite nicely to the CHT10 i would think.

So many choices,

Mog

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What did you go for in the end?

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Hi

I'm running 2x1NTs and a CNT with my 2011 and i couldn't be happier (Well, If Ihad some Signature 805s I might be!)

The bttom in is filled in with a CHT-15 and all in all, to my non hi-fi ear the set-up sounds terrific for both music & movies.

Thinking of soon getting a decent stereo integrated to add in for music jus to see if there's much of a difference.

I demo'd the 603s at the same time as the 1NTs and, while they have "more" base, it's not nearly as controlled, detailed or refined as that from the 1NTs.

Let us know what you selected.

Peter

7. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Well i went to the shop on Friday and spent a good couple of hours listening and sampling. I took with me a wide array of different music and some older recordings to see how they would be represented with the CDM's.

I would agree with Meep as the 603's lacked refinement when compared with the cdm1nts (imo). The 603's definitely have plenty of low end but the overall control of the CDM's and the trebble being smoother swayed me in there direction. I did think that the CDM's were a tad bass light but the overall sound and imaging was impressive. The CDM's performed well with almost all of the music i took with me. They lack of low end was shown up with some more soulful music but from a box of that size it is to be expected when compared to the 603's.

BUT...

I had a sub (b&w) hooked up with the cdm's and that more then made up for the lack of low end and even though it was a tad overpowering at times (nothing a good tweak couldnt fix) the overall effect was very good.

I have decided to go for some CDM's with a velo CHT10 and the next thing for me to do is to try and find a good price on the B&w's. The dealer offered me 10% off almost instantly so i am sure a little more haggling wouldnt go a miss :devil:. Plus i am currently investigating a couple of other avenues so when i get some prices back they will be ordered :cool: .

Thanks for your help everyone it was much appreciated :clap:

Hus

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    meep what cd or dvd do you use please

mogli did you use 2011?? and what dvd or cd player please.at demo.

iwhen i originally demed cdms+3802 it was with arcam cd player not sure of model possibly cd72, i then compared arcam cd62 i believe it was with nad541 found not much differance but only tried a couple of cds,

i still find a lot of older cds harsher than i would like, but mogli you have tried a range of music and in general cdms smooth, which i found in all the demos i have had, but not at home ,

possible culprit 541 with not so good recordings.

mogli you could always look out for ex/dem 2nd hand for cdms which would be about the £600 mark with stands from private sale or a bit more from dealer if your not in a big hurry to aquire a pair ,subject to being able to hear them to see if ok,

you can then put the money saved for other kit

9. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Mick,

I feed my 2011 with a HTPC. This has an M-Audio Delta 410 card which I connect to the receiver using digital (coax) connection.

Use WinAmp for playing CDs, TheaterTek for movies.

Over the coming months I hope to get a decent Cd and integrated stereo amp from my hi-fi shop in order to test qulatative differences between HTPC/2011 combo and a "proper" hi-fi config.

I too find that older rcordings are quite harsh - I spun "Born in the USA' recently and was devistated by the sharpness. I put it down to the set-up being more insightful as most other stuff I listen to sounds great!

Follow the link in my sig to see my full set-up and read more. (If you have sigs turned off, it's http://www.meedja.ie/ht/)

Peter

10. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mogli

just noticed this moorgate accoustics have cdm1nts+stands for £750 ex dem , i have dealt with them they are ok, and normally allow you a 10 day trial with kit, a possible £200 saving not sure of what colour cdms are,

thanks meep

11. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Mick,

I used a 2011 and a 656 DVD player (not the best of sources but its what i have at the moment). I also demoed it with a Rotel RCD-02 to hear the difference when using a good midrange cd player. After my speaker purchase the next item on my list will be a CD player but that will be quite a few months away.

It does seem strange that even after an extended run in period your CDM's sound harsh at times but like you said the quality of the speakers means that they pick up deficiencies in sub standard/older recordings. It would be interesting to see how they compare to the 805nt's. Anyone ever tried a direct comparison with older recordings?

Thanks for link Mick but they're in cherry and i am after a red stained pair. But as i am based in Holland it can be difficult to get things as very few companies ship to NL. But i will give em a call and see what they say and maybe if i can get assurances on condition, quality and such i will see what they can do.

Cheers,

Hus

12. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Mogli

Could you let us know your thoughts on the difference between running the 656 and the RCD-02 with the 2011?

Thanks

Peter

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I you think music sounds harsh, why not try using a decent CD player? (checkout the Rega Planet 2000)

14. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Mick,

I was also going to ask what type of interconnect you use between the CD player and the Amp? The reason i was asking is that when using an optical connection this can also lead to the sound being too bright at times.

Peter,

I was impressed by the Rotel and it was able to give me a very good soundstage and the imaging was impressive. The Rotel was is very good at presenting detailed, complex recordings and with the CDMS attention to detail it was magnified to an extent. It was a tad on the light side though which is also echoed in the CDM's so maybe a slightly warmer player would be better.

What CD player are you thinking of getting with your CDM's?

Hope that helps.

Hus

15. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Mogli,

No plans yet. I'm actually quite happy with my HTPC but will get one or two mid range cd players for a side by side comparison.

My first purchase will kost likely be a decent stereo integrated amp - I have my eye on a used Arcam FMJ 32 which is a bit of a bargain.

Peter

16. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mogli i have the dnm bullit plug digital interconnect bought from uncle eric £49 , also have qed quenex1 ,dnm reason bullet plug .075 metre rca, ra pbj tonic 14db rca.

basically results are the same re older cds, way to bright.

nathan i purchased the dire straights sultans of swing i asked you about hdcd vertion , for instance track 16 sounds good , but still not getting as musical quality i would like.

i am aware that the 3802 is not particuly good at sterio anyway,
    the rega has been sugested as an alternative, but no dealer in my area stocks rega.

some time back i had dem of rocksan caspian/densen beat mk5 integrated £900 amps, interconect was £120 jumbo mains lead,
    cd player rocksan or exposure £500 with cdms and used a wide range of cds,

to be fair i did not think that all this kit sounded that much more musical , ie brothers in arms for instance , if spending £1400 over what i already have.

17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "nathan i purchased the dire straights sultans of swing i asked you about hdcd vertion , for instance track 16 sounds good , but still not getting as musical quality i would like."

It's your system then. It sounds fantastic on mine... IMO if your want Hi-Fi, consider using a high quality (£500+) stereo integrated amp.

For other good recordings, checkout Blondie No Exit (also HDCD) any of The Corrs CD (unplugged is especially good) Lene Marlin, Garbage V2, Sinead O Conner, Dixie Chicks HDCD, Sleeper, Meticalla Black & Metallica and justice (good metal recordings) etc.

18. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    nathan i do not know what kit you have got apart from lexicon mc1 , what speakers do you use, seem to recall you have audiolab amp??? from past posts.

i have tried at home cyrus 7 ,slightly better but a bit lean sounding for my tastes, rega and creek have been mentioned by some dealers but no local dealer stocks items.

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifi system is Marantz CD-63SE using as transport, Tag DAC20, 8000S int, 8000SX power, Ruark Etudes. Also I had Rega Planet 2000 into the 8000S.

MC1 is another system (AV)

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked track 16 on the Dire Straits.. it's a live recording.. still sounds good, but not as good as the studio recorded tracks.

1,3,8,9,10 are the better quality ones.

21. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    In defence of the 603’s when you add a decent power amp there is a noticeable improvement in staging and fine detail, while the bass is something else even more depth and it is tight, I have to keep the bungs in the rear or else it gets too much. Saying that given the money I would not mind trying the CDM’s and a decent sub.