Can you help me troubleshoot a DLP problem?

mikerino

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a smart PG-MB66x DLP 1080p projector and the picture is terrible. There is probably a term for the picture issues I am getting but I don't know it. Its kind of like a halo around objects, blocky, looks very low res. I use a HDMI switching stereo to select my sources, HD Tivo or 1080p Roku and I also have a DVI from my PC, all look about the same. I tried bypassing the stereo and had the same results. If anyone could help me define my problem or help me to troubleshoot it or tell me that I need a new one I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.. Mike in New Hampster.

Hi Mike,

Is it this model:

Sharp Projectors: Sharp PG-MB66X DLP projector

It's native res is 1024 x 768 and 4:3 so will be down resing your sources, but even so, I wouldn't have thought it would look as bad as you say.

Have you got the sharpness control turned up? That can produce halo's and ringing around objects. Having the brightness set too high may be highlighting details that would usually be hidden in shadows etc so pixels and image noise would become visible, so you should use a test disk to set it correctly (THX Optimiser for example).

Have you just taken ownership of this pj?

Gary

Sorry, I posted the wrong projector, it is really a Optoma HD806. So I am seeing halo's and ringing? I have had the projector for years and have replaced the bulb once. It seems like it had a beautiful picture which gradually got worse. I defaulted all of my settings.

I'm just guessing as it's difficult to know exactly what you're seeing, but it could be the settings if it used to look better before. Can you check to make sure it isn't somehow projecting at a lower res than native, and that keystoning isn't turned on? Does what you're seeing occur at the boundaries of colour graduations, like on peoples faces? It could be the colour wheel timing or the wheel going faulty/out of sync.

If you can post a pic that shows what you're seeing, it might help.

Gary

Heres what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 60
Looks like a colour wheel problem - Optoma had a similar firmware related issue with the H77 from new. It might be fixable if you can adjust the timing in the menu, but it's usually in the service menu and you have to be careful you don't change anything else that might screw up the pj completely. I wonder if cleaning the colour wheel or sensor might help - I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sensor or wheel could get a bit dirty over time and have trouble syncing the wheel, and cleaning them fixed it...

I'm not familiar with the model, but maybe someone else is. You could always try the US forum avsforum.com which has a much larger user base and there's bound to be someone there who knows how to get into the service menu or how to clean the wheel on that particular model.

Gary

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom