Can you help me to upgrade for a custom construction build?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Milopita, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Milopita

Milopita
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I would like some advice about my home cinema setup. The room this is all going in is 4.7m deep by 5.3m wide by 2.2m high (25 sqm). Viewing distance is about 3.2m from the screen.

I am planning to wall mount the TV, as well as wall mount left, right and centre speakers around the TV and mount the rear speakers in the rear ceiling corners.

My current kit is as follows:

Source
    • HTPC (Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim soundcard and other high quality parts)
    TV
    • Sony Bravia KDL 40W3000
    Amp
    • Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver
    Speakers
    • Monitor Audio Radius R270 standmount left and right speakers
    • Monitor Audio Radius R270 standmount left and right speakers
    • Monitor Audio Radius R225 centre speaker
    • Monitor Audio Radius R45 rear speakers (just two)
    • Monitor Audio Reference Silver Sub RSW12
    Cables
    • Subwoofer wired with QED MP-SW 10m lead
    • Front, left and centre wired with QED-Silver XT Silver Anniversary cables
    • Rears wired with QED original cable
    A massive list of questions
    • I am going to be upgrading the TV soon, to something larger than 50". I'd like something reasonably future proof so 4K I guess, but I am not that interested in 3D. Any recommendations?
    • I am not too concerned with upgrading the HTPC as I did that reasonably recently. It is a nice large HTPC box with good components and runs reasonably quietly and cooly, Windows 7 with a customised Media Browser setup. Nice soundcard and BlackGoldTV card.
    • I am also planning to wall mount the amp and HTPC, so that only the fascias protrude into the room, through a dressed aperture in a stud wall. The units will be supported on shelving and the rear end of them will be in a large understairs cupboard to keep all of the cabling out of sight.
      Any issues with overheating? The front 100mm of the units will be sleeved in wood probably and I know the Onkyo runs hot, but surely it can keep itself nicely cool thanks to the rest of the air inlets being in a reasonably drafty cupboard (actually about 1 meter deep by 3 long. I have attached some sketch ups of this idea. It will cost me less than getting a ridiculously expensive AV media bench with vnetilation I figure. Once in the cupboard the units can make as much noise as they like and the wiring is not so much of a mess either. The cupboard will also house routers and switches and a NAS.
    • My rear Monitor Audio R45 speakers always seemed a little anaemic to me. Okay I noticed them from time to time during better audio engineered movie scenes and they worked ok with all channel stereo, but I am guessing that the room I just moved this equipment into is a little large at 25 meters squared for them.
    • I would prefer to wall mount the left and right channel speakers but right now I have floor standers. They always seemded okay to me, but again, are they a little smaller for a pretty big living room? If I wallmount speakers woudl it be a good idea to stick to the Monitor Audio Radius range? the 225 will go on the wall nicely already as the centre, but what stereo fronts to match it with? Should I be looking to match the Silver RSW12 Sub?
    • I have to rerun cables through the ceiling and will probably have lengths left over from my last build that are too short. If I get new cables I am tempted to get something cheaper than the QED Silver Anniversary XT, something like the QED original cable. I just don't think that more expensive speaker cabling is really worth it. However the speaker cablng will be near LED spotlight cabling in the ceiling so maybe getting cabling with better shielding is worth it. I am planning to use babana plug face plates for the rear speakers to make things neater. Maybe that changes something?
    • The Subwoofer I have was the most expensive bit of the kit back when I bought this setup circa 2009, so I probably don't need to upgrade there. It was always turned down a fair bit so as not to overly shake the floor (which it definitely can). I live in London and have neighbours everywhere and don't really need them complaining:nono:
    • What to use on a wooden laminate floor for the feet though? Spikes or rubber feet of some kind?

So which bits would you change in this kit?:lease:
    What about mounting the amp and HTPC in the wall like that? Anyone have experience of trying something similar?
    Are wall mounted speakers just for Bang and Olufsen types:confused:?

Massive thanks for anyone willing to offer some advice.:clap:

2. Milopita

Milopita
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I forgot to attach the sketches that I have of the room and 'cutout' aperture.

Attached Files:

3. Milopita

Milopita
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, well loads of views of my original post but no replies. Maybe I am in the wrong forum or asked too many questions at once. Any help on any of my questions would be great...

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Give them time - not everyone has a lot of time in the middle of the night and in the morning.;)

5. Mr X

Mr X
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    Wow and welcome!

I'll see if I can help a bit.

4k or not 4k is a question I've recently been asking myself. In short trying to get as "future proof" as poss in a new build I'm doing. Basically if you end up wall mounting the TV and possibly hiding/chasing the HDMI, consider using a fibre optic HDMI thats 4k compat. Of course you will pay a premium (around £200 for a standard run) but you can always add a 4k TV/SCREEN/AMP later when prices drop. Thats what I've done in a new set up. If not no harm in running some cat 5e/6 ethernet for a degree of future proofing too.

Not sure if that helps but that's my 2p :)

All the best in your new set up

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Milopita

Milopita
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bit of an update:

• I am now thinking of swapping the rear R45s for ceiling mounted Monitor Audios of some description. Perhaps something like the C265-FX or CT265-FX or maybe even CPC-RS
    • I will keep the floor standing R270s and wall mount the R225. I might eventually upgrade to Silver series, but for now these will do I reckon. I presume that the HD versions aren't much of an upgrade, more of an update.
    • I need to upgrade the Onkyo amp me thinks..Perhaps an TX-NR818 so that I have two HDMI outs and a 2nd zone at least to run the kitchen speakers. The Audessey on it sounds pretty top end too. Perhaps it is overkill and a 616 or 717 would do, or even something a bit older. Onkyo don't seem to be winning as many price point awards these days.
    • I have given up on trying to mount the HTPC and amp through the wall. Bit of a crazy idea that was bound to look messy. I think I will put everything in a wheeled rack in my under stairs cupboard. That means researching racks, ventilation, how many 'U's I need. Sigh...
    • Cabling is all going via the ceiling now.

I am looking for my kitchen speakers via this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...78-ceiling-kitchen-speakers.html#post18735444

7. Milopita

Milopita
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my Monitor Audio Radius R225 centre speaker for a Monitor Audio RX or SC Centre. I won't have a TV bench or similar to rest it on. I will need to wall mount it (not sure that is possible with these speakers) or get a stand for it. Any pointers?

I am going to upgrade to Monitor Audio RX6 or RS6 left and right speakers too, but centre first I think.

Considering a Denon 3313 or Onkyo 717/818 as the receiver, possibly a Yamaha.

8. Mr X

Mr X
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    Can't help with the Monitor Audios but have just installed an Onkyo 818 and initial impressions are VERY positive. Have only done a basic calibration as waiting to do the 8 point calibration once the room is finished. I've been used to a top end Arcam sound ie AVR600 which cost around 4x as much the 818 is certainly compelling to say the least.

9. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,181
    I have a setup close to yours.

Speakers:
    Fronts 225
    Centre 250 (used to have a 180 but personally felt it lacked something and a 250 came up at the right price. It's probably overkill for a centre but there you go)
    Rears 90
    Sub MA 720

They are all wall mounted and look good. They are pretty close to the tv but do give a nice 'wide' sound (if that makes sense?) I can't remember if the 270 can be wall mounted but it should be easy to find out.

I also have the QED Silver anniversary cabling to all my speakers. It's a bright cable and the speakers are bright and in hindsight perhaps I should have chosen something different but I'm still happy with it.

My amp is an Onkyo 705 which produces a lovely sound (when calibrated correctly) but I am thinking of upgrading it as I am considering going 3D. The 818 was suggested as a suitable replacement.

My advice for your rears is get something a little bigger. The 90's are fine for me and the way I figured it was roughly 70% of your sound will be from the fronts so the rears didn't need to be as big but still able to give you a good sound when used/needed.

You don't mention if it is setup yet but I would personally use your current setup and try and calibrate it and see how it sounds. Then I would start to change things.