1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you help me on this one?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tophellcat, Sep 30, 2004.

1. tophellcat

tophellcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have an ampliphier that is about 25 years old. i was lookin through the owners manual to see how much wattage it could pump out because i thought that older ampliphiers couldn't pump out as much sound as the new ones. but the manual said that it pumped out 15 watts per channel. i called up Pioneer (the make of the ampliphier) and they said that was by the old standards of measuring wattage. he said that it would be a bigger number for these days because back then, ampliphiers didn't have processors and they just pumped out raw power. now, does anybody know how to convert older standards of wattage to the knew standards so that i can know how much power is really being pumped out?

2. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look in the manual and what does it say next to the 15w power rating?

The standard and trusted convention is RMS or Root Mean Square, I think pioneer used to rate there's with DIN, which has to be divided by 2 to get the RMS output. Then there's the PMPO or Peak Music Power Output and its basically RMS x 4 and is figure used soley to illustrate short term power output and by that I mean it can only deliver this current for fractions of a second.

So if it is 15w RMS then you can rate it the same as a modern day 15w amp. If the however, and I suspect that its DIN, then your looking at around 7 watts against a modern amp.

It seems like a very low powered model, is it a tube amp by any chance?

My advice would be to put it back in the cupboard and buy a new one for around £60-70 from www.Richersounds.com

3. tophellcat

tophellcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, it doesn't have tubes in it and it doesn't say those things you said up above. And if it is only the amount of wattage you said, then howcome my speakers made so much sound that they cracked one of my windows?

4. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cracked a window eh, well your doing better than most of us on here who use big subs with 400w RMS to 1250w RMS and can produce SPL's (Sound Pressure Level) of 110dB+ all day long.
    Are you sure you didn't throw the speaker at the window whilst music was playing through them? That would certainly crack the window.

Lets say, on the off chance, that you have cracked a window with sheer SPL. I would have to assume you have either very sensitive speakers ie. 100dB+, you've misread the manual, you have faulty glass in your windows or a combination of all the above.

Seriously though wattage is only a small part of the equation when it comes to loudness. There's the impedance and sensitivity rating of the driven loudspeaker, then the amps ability to supply the amps or current needed, the recording and source, the room size your using them in, distance from the speakers when listening etc. etc.

5. tophellcat

tophellcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would it help you if i gave you the model numbers for the speakers and ampliphier?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think you and your adviser at Pioneer are getting a few wires crossed here.

As others have said,with reference to this and your other thread(s),there has only been one respected method of expressing power output,and that is,as funkymonkey has said,in terms of RMS watts.
    There are other methods such as DIN,and so called music power,which enabled poorly specced machines to appear to have a higher power output.
    In any case,15W 25 yrs ago is still 15W in the new millenium,and still represents a very modest power output,and unlikely to crack windows irrespective of speaker efficiency.

The presence or absence of a processor in an amp/receiver has no bearing on it's power output.

I would also suggest,in the light of this thread and our other re speaker impedance,that if you plan to run more than one set of speakers,it would be well worth following the advice given elsewhere on this thread,and looking at some newer,modestly priced amps/receivers,which may deliver better power output,and with better load tolerance.

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    AMPLIFIER