Can you help me decide which TV is best for us, roughly £800

JTSlam

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Our sittingroom is a bit of an irregular shape, with a decent bit of natural lighting coming through from a glass conservatory door and front window. Our TV sits in the corner with a recliner chiar infront of it, and a couch in an L shape down from the chair. Our seating ranges from being around 6ft to 11ft away from the TV, as the TV sits in the corner (only place it can be due to awkward room shape and fire place).

We currently use an old 42" Panasonic Plasma 1080p set with Active 3D (never use the 3d). Looking to upgrade to something larger, thinking 65" QLED or a 55" OLED.

TV's in question i was considering;

HISENSE 65U7QFTUK - QLED, 700 Nits peak brightness, 65". £730 from most retailers.
HISENSE 65U8QFTUK - QLED, 1,000 Nits peak brightness, 65". £950 from most retailers.
LG BX - Smaller 55" screen, it's only around 500-550 Nits peak brightness apparently, £950 from most retailers.

The latter 2 are stretching the budget quite a bit. I've heard nothing but praise for OLED, but im not sure if the sacrifice in brightness in a naturally lit room is going to be good, and im concerned with burn in. (Often run an anti burn in thing on the PLASMA because we do start to notice ghosting sometimes).

So, out of the QLED screens, is the jump from 700 to 1,000 Nits a significant difference, and worth an extra £220?
Is OLED really so significantly better that i should only go for a 55" Display, which apparently gets half as bright as the QLED competitor i found?

Anything else this forum would recommend at this price range? I wont be purchasing it until the 8th-10th ish, when i next get paid so have plenty of time to shop around and do more research.

If brightness is a concern you could look at other 55" OLEDs like the Panasonic HZ980 or Philips OLED705 which should be priced around the same as the BX, but brighter.

The Hisense U8Q is a good TV, but does have some drawbacks, particularly with the OS and a known motion blur issue. If you could strtech to 1200 for the Sony XH9505 it would perhaps be a good compromise between picture quality and size.

Brightness itself isn't really something that is quoted nowadays for bright rooms though, its more for HDR picture quality, where every nit counts. You'll find even the BX will be a lot brighter than your current TV.

If brightness is a concern you could look at other 55" OLEDs like the Panasonic HZ980 or Philips OLED705 which should be priced around the same as the BX, but brighter.

The Hisense U8Q is a good TV, but does have some drawbacks, particularly with the OS and a known motion blur issue. If you could strtech to 1200 for the Sony XH9505 it would perhaps be a good compromise between picture quality and size.

Brightness itself isn't really something that is quoted nowadays for bright rooms though, its more for HDR picture quality, where every nit counts. You'll find even the BX will be a lot brighter than your current TV.
Thank you for your well thought out reply. Unfortunately, stretching to 1200 is just too much for a TV for me, stretching from 800 to basically 1k was a lot as it was. Is there any other TV you would recommend at this budget?

I'll take a look into these other OLED options, but i still dont know if OLED is worth the size decrease. What are your thoughts on this Dodge? Is OLED worht a 10" decrease in screen size?

My personal take is its probably not worth downsizing, and that going for the Hisense U8Q at 65" is a better option.
Some people however may not agree, and think its worth downsizing for a higher quality TV.

How long is the warranty though? I wouldn’t spend a grand on any TV without 5/6 years

How long is the warranty though? I wouldn’t spend a grand on any TV without 5/6 years
AO is a reputable store imo, any electronic good you purchase in the UK comes with a 5-6 year warranty as Standard, assuming the fault is not user-error. Quote the Sale of Goods Act if necessary, at a push you pay for independent repair and have them reimburse you. John Lewis: Don't EU rules provide two-year guarantee?

Thank you all for the advice. I will likely go with the U8Q as mentioned above, but will keep my eyes on deals for better TV's when im ready to purchase.

Hello, did you guys read the article? It is directly discussing British law, which at the time was overruling the default EU directive. Leaving the EU did not dissolve current British laws, so the principle of this 10 year old article is still relevant. It was replaced in 2015 by the Consumer Rights Act, but i thought this article still discussed the essentials of the spirit of the discussion well.

The specific part of the law states;
"
  • be of a satisfactory quality. Goods must be of a standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory. In assessing quality, all relevant circumstances must be considered, including price, description and your or the manufacturer's advertising. Quality is a general term, which covers a number of matters, including:
    • fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied
    • appearance and finish
    • freedom from minor defects
    • safety
    • durability "
I think any reasonable consumer would expect a television to last 5 years, especially if it costs £1,000. An item that fails without user error would be in breach of the durability & fit for purpose section.

Appologies, i should have been more clear and had unfortunately misremembered the SOGA as the 2015 law. I have successfully used this when a Drawing Display died 3 years post-purchase as a result of manufacturer defect, and it was replaced free of charge. They did have the option to repair.

Back to the directly related topic,
My personal take is its probably not worth downsizing, and that going for the Hisense U8Q at 65" is a better option.
Some people however may not agree, and think its worth downsizing for a higher quality TV.

Dumb question, is the Sony BRAVIA KE65XH9296BU the same as the XH9505?

Back to the directly related topic,

Dumb question, is the Sony BRAVIA KE65XH9296BU the same as the XH9505?
No its the same as the XH90xx models.

Just looked its sold sorry but there is one at crampton and more on there ebay store for £825 with 5yr warranty hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom