• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can you help me choose the lens for a 550D

Tidyboy

I am about to buy a 550D from here (cheapest place I could find it) and am also looking to get her a lens.

She has told me in the past that she would really like 18 - 135mm and from doing a little research I have also seen alot of v good shouts for the Canon 50mm F1.8 MK2 (I think)

1. Is the deal I have seen through SLRHut look good?
2. Can anyone rec a good 18-135mm lens on a budget of say £100?
3. The canon 50mm is said to be a bargain but when I was trying to research it there seemed to be many variations of this lens (1.4 and 1.8) from Canon with wildly different prices. Could someone point me in the right direction with which of these lens are considered a bargain (Budget for this lens probably around £50 - £70)

Jammyb

2. Can anyone rec a good 18-135mm lens on a budget of say £100?
3. The canon 50mm is said to be a bargain but when I was trying to research it there seemed to be many variations of this lens (1.4 and 1.8) from Canon with wildly different prices. Could someone point me in the right direction with which of these lens are considered a bargain (Budget for this lens probably around £50 - £70)

2: There is only one 18-135mm lens I'm aware of the Canon 18-135mm IS, it's fairly average and costs £280 and probably isn't worth it.
3: The 50mm 1.8 costs around £80-90, the 50mm 1.4 costs around £275

Personally I would get her the Camera with 18-55mm IS kit lens and possibly the 50mm 1.8, then she can live with them for a while and decide which area to expand or improve upon in the future.

Prices and reputable sites here:
Camera Price Buster - UK Camera Price Comparison

HelloMoto

Don't just rely on the cheapest place you can find something, so many people have been conned that way when it all goes wrong.

The 50mm f/1.8 MK II is a relative bargain. If you want a good seller search for Kerso on ebay too.

Tidyboy

Don't just rely on the cheapest place you can find something, so many people have been conned that way when it all goes wrong.

The 50mm f/1.8 MK II is a relative bargain. If you want a good seller search for Kerso on ebay too.

Thanks these guys were really helpful when I spoke to the on the phone and are based in Croydon. The price seems good and they offer 3 year guarantee for free.

Going to check out Kerso now.

Jammyb

@Jammyb Is that kit lens any good I have heard mixed reviews on it.

considering it costs about £50 more than the body only it's very good. It's very sharp at the wide, slightly weaker at 55mm. It's certainly good enough to start with.

the 18-135mm is about as sharp, but covers a wider range.

twist

Distinguished Member
Or get your 50 from Amazon, theyre usually the cheapest at around £70-75 and not grey imports.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom