1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help me choose my new LCD.... Plse :)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nate247, Mar 22, 2005.

1. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Hi people, I have spent most of today and yesterday searching through the threads in the forum, re LCD tv's.

I realise that many people have written similar threads to this one and I don't mean to add to them, but having speant the last 3 weeks reading all the magazines all the forums etc, I am now fully clued up and ready buy :)

Ideally due to space I would like a 32" screen but a 26" would be ok, my only reservation is that from what I can gather a vast majority of 26" sets are only 15:9, could be wrong though ;)

Money is no real object although if there is a bargain to be had, i.e the New Tosh that is getting the good reviews, I will go for it. My main stipulations are HDTV ready, DVI input, but most of all a great picture quality as it will be my main set and I am looking at creating a real high end setup over the next month.

If anyone could reccomend in their opinion the best 32" / 26" LCDs that fit my needs, please advise....... I would be very grateful.

All the best, Nathan :)

2. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    toshiba 32wl48,the recomended retail price is £1700 but iv seen it for £1100 ish on dealtime on the net.
    happy shopping mate.

3. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Must admit, this is the one I am ebbing more towards. My only mental blocks are a) I have always bought Sharp PC monitors and been impressed with the quality and b) The HDMI pics on the Tosh are supposed to be a little noisy and I am planning on getting a Denon DVD with HDMI output with Upscaling, so if the noise is really noticable, it would probably put me off of the set.

Can anyone with the Tosh vouch for how good / bad the images are through the HDMI inputs??? Or anyone thats seen it in action.

I have only seen it in JL and to be honest the signals going into the sets are split about a million times (bit of an exageration) and don't do the sets justice :)

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would look for a screen with HDMI if possible that way you can feed it either DVI or HDMI and still get the benifit of the audio with HDMI. If you all you can get is DVI you can still send HDMI to it.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nate,

If you are wanting the very best PQ and are prepared to pay....the32PF9986 is the only thing to get. Currently around £2000

OR. If you really want to go for broke, wait for the new 32PF9380 with its new Whizz Bang scanning backlight, PP2HD, Ambilight 2, HDMI and DVI, etc. etc. This set will hit the market at less than £2000 and will quite quickly head towards the £1500 mark. This will most likely be the best LCD available this year....

Jimmy

6. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Good advice mate...... thanks alot.

Used to have a 32" Pixel Plus Philips a while back, great pics but the only thing that used to get to me was the lack of component inputs. I have heard though that there is an adapter that plugs into the DVI input on their latest LCD's, is this correct??

Also unfortunately I have to get a set asap as we have just moved into a house and do not have one yet (first house) :) so waiting for the 32PF9380 although tempting, may not be an option :(

But in your opinion, Philips have the best PQ???

Thanks again for the advice so far :)

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9986 does come with an adapter to allow Component connection.

Few would argue that the 9986 produces the current best picture available. Sharp and Loewe run it close, followed by Toshiba then on down to Samsung and the rest.

This is slightly over simple, Nate, but is basically correct....

Don't hesitate to ask tons of questions, view screenshots etc. etc.

Jimmy

Jimmy

8. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Brilliant mate.

I must admit that I do have some knowledge of T.V's, Hi Fi etc....... used to be massively into it about 5 years ago, but things change so quickly and with the changes up an coming with HDTV I felt a bit like a fish outta water (first time for everything I guess :)). Thats why I have started posting here, experience tells me that Forums are about the best place to get info on stuff you no longer know alot about :) lol

I think that I have narrowed my choices down to 4 sets in which case, The Toshiba 32wl48, the Philips 9986 (two 32" sets) the Sharp LC26GA3EB and the LC26GA4EB (both similar sets apart from speakers from what I can gather).

I must admit that as I am only about 5 feet away from the set, im thinkin that a 26" may be sufficient. Also I am assuming (I repeat "assuming" :) lol) that a 26" set may look better if I am quite close to the t.v?

Money really is no object, I just want the set with the best PQ........ thats it :)

I feel that a decision and purchase is imminent!!! :)

9. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hve a look at the Hitachi 28"at RS for 800 quid. Seems like a bargain to me.

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nate,

At 5 feet away, a 32" is too big. Unless you are watching fantastic quality sources a 32" at 5 feet will drive you nuts.

The Sharps are probably your best bet in this size range.......Skip the Hitachi.

Jimmy.