1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help an old duffer?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by old-Bill, Aug 7, 2004.

1. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am completely new to the AV scene and getting on a bit in years but I thought I would give it a go!

After reading through your forums I decided to purchase a Pioneer DV-575A DVD player and A Toshiba 36ZP48 television, I also purchased component video leads so that I could use Progressive Scan.
    When I connect up with these leads my video "Donny Darko" does not play!
    If I connect a Scart lead it does play!
    I am clueless as to how all this works, could someone please, please help out, I even took my DVD player to Curries but they could not make it start on Progressive Scan, I am at a total loss as I dont really understand what I am doing.
    Do you have to have a Progressive Scan compatible DVD as the Salesman in Curries told me?

Please help.

Bill

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

Lets see if I can help.

Firstly, the salesman in Curries is talking rubbish - as usual! Any DVD can be deinterlaced by a suitable DVD player (such as the DV-575A) and presented to the TV in progressive format. The Toshiba 36ZP48 accepts a progreesive scan input so it should all be working. We need to check a couple of points:

Have you connected the red, green and blue cables to the component outputs of the DV-575A (usually labelled YUV or YPbPr)?

Have you connected the other ends of these cables to the component inputs on the TV (same labelling)?

Have you gone into the "Initial Settings" menu on the DVD, selected "Component Out" and set this to "Progressive"?

Have you set the input on the TV to "Component" (I seem to remember that it is AV4?

If you have done all the above it should be working. If it is not, have you got another DVD disc to try? If that won't play either, try changing the progressive output of the DVD back to Interlace - does it work now?

Hope this helps

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering

www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers,

I have managed to sort out the Pioneer DVD 575 end of things and have it set to output progressive scan but I am still unsure of the TV setup.

Is there anyone out there with a Toshiba 36ZP48 or similar that can tell me how to set it for progressive Scan? Step by step please as I'm a newbie and getting on a bit in years.
    Cheers
    Bill

ps Do I need both the Scart lead and the Component leads connected or should it work with just the component leads once it is set up properly? :rolleyes:

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

I have calibrated a number of these top-end Toshiba's. I am almost certain that you have to select EXT4 to enable the component input.

Try it and report back.

Piers

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

And I should have added - once you get the component working with progressive scan you will not need the scart connection.

Piers

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

Have you managed to set the TV to EXT4? Does it now work?

Piers

7. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your prompt reply Piers, That will save me getting another Scart lead!

Back to the TV question, to be honest I don't understand the select EXT4 thingy in the menu, I really need step by step instructions,there are so many settings I get lost!

Also since I put in my new telly, (the last one was 13 years old) my NTL cable channels no longer work, why is this? do I need a new box for the new TV's?

Bill

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

Without the TV's user manual I am starting to struggle, and attempts to download one from the Toshiba website have failed. I don't have a Toshiba myself, so am having to work from memory.

To select one of the external inputs on the TV you need to press a button on the remote control. The button will either have an arrow pointing into a square or on some models you access the external inputs by pressing the red or green buttons on the remote.

The new TV should work with the NTL box. I suspect that you are seeing the same problem as with the DVD. The TV is not set to the correct EXT input for the NTL box (which I assume you have connected via scart).

Where in the country are you - if you were anywhere near Shropshire I am sure I could fix everything in minutes - it is a lot harder doing it remotely!!

Piers

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Bill,

I might be in Glasgow on Monday early evening. If you can't get this sorted then email me your address and contact details and I'll try to stick my head in and look over thiis for you.

Gordon

10. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Piers,
    The NTL box does not have a Scart only co-axial.
    The AV conection choice is as follows;

Digital input 1 >>>>>> EXT 1 to 5 +off
    Digital input 2 >>>>>> EXT 1 to 5 + off
    EXT3 input >>>>>> AV or S-video
    EXT3 output >>>>>> TV, Monitor, EXT 1 or 2 or 5

I have tried various combinations, but there are so many and I don't understand what they mean.
    The DVD player is outputing Progressive Scan to my TV but its not reaching the screen.

????????????/I have the component leads correctly plugged in and have tested them for continuity.
    Bill

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

Lets have one more try at solving this this afternoon, otherwise its over to Gordon as he is local to you.

Do you have P+ and P- buttons on the TV's remote control?

If so, press the 0 button on the remote, then the P- button. If my guess is right the TV should say EXT5. Press P- again and you should be onto EXT4. The DVD should now work.

If it does we can then tackle theNTL box (it is a different problem that you are seeing there).

Piers

12. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bill,

I had this exact same setup for a couple of weeks (until the Tosh went faulty on me) and you sound like you are doing everything right.

Have you gone into the main TV menu and selected Progressive mode?

You will see on the menu all the picture setting options like 'Active', '100hz' and one of them will be progressive - choose that one.

Then go to the AV connection menu and set digital input 1 as EXT4 (this is the component input, the three scart lead inputs are EXT1-3)

Then close the menu

you then need to hit the button on your remote that looks like a circle with an arrow through it about 4 times til you reach the right channel, if your DVD is set to progressive you should be seeing your DVD.

Hope that helps

13. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on Moo242,
    I now have a progressive scan picture, however I have on sound during DVD playback. F***** B@*$"
    As I was mucking around something came up saying "No signal" what the fudge.
    The sound works elsewhere

Any more helpfull suggestions, I'm nearly there! I think.

Bill :eek:

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Bill,

tried to call while I was at Kingsgate Sainsburys this afternoon but no reply.....Migh tbe out and about tomorrow (parents live nearby). Got your number in my organisor now so if no resolution from forum don't worry I'm sure I cna get it sorted.

Gordon

15. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to view EXT4 all you need to do is hit the key just to the right of '0' to cycle through EXT1 to 5. EXT4 is dedicated component video; there are no menu settings to change or activate it so don't bother looking!

If I remember correctly, it won't automatically display EXT4 when you turn on the DVD player because unlike SCART, there is no 12V pull-up to activate AV switching, though don't quote me on that!

16. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have the the Progressive Scan working, but I cannot get any sound when playing dvd, do I need a digital co-axial or optical lead to get sound?

Gordon, I was at Sainsury's myself, sorry I missed your call, if I need a digital lead then my problem is solved.

Bill

17. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Bill,

With component, sound has to be connected separately. Next to the component video input on the TV there should 2 more similar RCA/phono sockets (audio in). Connect a standard audio cable here and the other end into audio out on the back of your DVD. Try to get L&R the right way round. If your TV has a digital input (which I think it has 2 of) then buying a coaxial or optical lead would be even better.

I believe you also have audio out on the TV which looks similar too. You do not want to connect here. The different phono inputs and output should be labled if you look closely. Now seeing your other post, it looks like you know what to do.

18. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Digiman,
    Which is better, optical or co-axial?

Gordon, with a bit of luck I may be there.

Bill

19. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you were running a sophisicated AV amp set up then coaxial may be slightly better. For a TV you wont be able to tell the difference. Therefore the cheaper one or the one they have in stock (make sure the length is right). If you have phono leads use them to start with (you will still find it difficult to tell the difference).

Looking at the time of your posts you have been up most of the night. Oh the joys of a new TV. :)

20. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help, I now have my machines up and running.I could not have done so without the help given on this forum.
    The only thing I don't know how to do is get my NTL cable programmes running on my new telly, can anyone help?

Bill

21. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a similar process. If you're using scart, just plug it in to one of the RGB scart slots on the back and select the right one in the AV connections screen (i.e. EXT 1, 2 or 3) and scroll along the AV channels until you see it.

22. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bill,

You said yesterday that it was not connected by scart. If there is really no scart socket on the NTL box (man it must be old!) then you will have to link it to the TV with an "ordinary aerial" cable and then tune in the TV to the frequency of the NTL box. Once again, with no instruction manual here I am struggling but the process is much the same as storing conventional TV stations into the TV.

If the NTL box just happens to have a scart socket then Moo's advice is sound.

Piers

23. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My box only has a co-axial output, what I really wanted to know is how to tune my new telly in to NTL, its a Toshiba 36ZP48. I take it my VCR will involve a similar process, it does have scart leads.
    Bill.

24. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Bill,

Silly question but did the TV not come with a manual? If it didn't, you need to get back to the supplier as you will need to refer to it for many of the functions. If it did then it is worth having a thorough read through and looking at the sections such as Tuning a VCR etc etc.

To tune in your cable box: The coaxial should go out of the wall and into the NTL box and then out of the NTL box and into the TV. Switch on the NTL box. Go into TV menu / set up and do an automatic tuning. The TV should find the NTL channel. See what stations have been tuned in. One of the stations (maybe 6) will flip channel when you change the channel on the NTL box. That is how you can find out which it is. The alternative is to go into manual tuning. Select an unused channel number (6?) and search for the NTL box. Each time the TV finds a channel, change the station/channel on the NTL box - if the TV switches then you have found it. Store the channel and off you go.

If you auto-tune the NTL and then want to change its channel number on the TV you will need to go into the set up menu and move it - probably an option under manual tuning.

25. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again everyone,

I managed to manually tune in my NTL and my VCR, Happy Days!

Bill

26. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No problem, no problem, no problem.

With due respect Bill, running three near identical posts in this forum is a bit of a time waster as different people end up answering the same question three times. This is slightly more annoying due to the fact that the problem arises from what appears to be a desire not to read the manual. I can only assume, old-Bill, that this is a result of you not being able to remember if, when and on which forums you put your posts.