1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you hear where it's coming from?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RoughRider, Aug 20, 2004.

1. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Playing with new sub yesterday :) . I wanted to hear what it did so I played some music and then turned off my main speakers. Sure enough, bass coming out of the sub. I am fairly sure that from my seating position I could tell it was coming from the corner where the sub is. If I went further away in the room I could not. Am I totally imagining it? Is it impossible due to wavelengths and my ear's resolution or something? Can anyone else hear where ther sub is?

My amp's LFE / Subwoofer cut-off is 90Hz (not adjustable).

My mains are bi-wired to my "A" and "B" main speaker terminals, and turning on the just tweeters was quite entertaining, it made it harder to tell where the bass came from too.

Also - it sounded pretty rubbish, mainly just a rumble / boom like being next door to a nightlub, I hope this is just because I have done no tuning at all yet. Does anyone know if Charly or Outer Space (Prodigy) deep bass should sound good, or is it just too old a recording? Do the people who are happy hear only really tight, punchy notes and tones if they do this? Never owned a sub before and I am looking forward to a Shinobiwan style revelation as I get it sorted out.

Gear is Technics CD player through optical cable into Yamaha AX1 through decent wires into B&W 603 S2's (these have big woofer cones) and an SVS PC+ 20-39.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Human hearing isn't very good at locating low frequency sounds at all so what you describe is right. I'm sure some of the SVS nuts here will help you with the booming although I'd guess you might have the sub too loud and the corner placement might not help.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm sure it will improve greatly when you have set it up properly and found the optimum site for it. You will find that even moving it a few inches could improve the sound quality.

Turn the gain on the sub up to about one third or a little more then balance the sub using the test tones in the amp. That should be the position where you have roughly tuned and the fine tuning can begin.

Start with the B&W's set to small with bass plus LFE directed to sub.

Can't help you on Prodigy I'm afraid as the closest I have come to hearing them is Corky and The Juice Pigs singing a verse of "I'm the only gay eskimo" in the style of Prodigy, which probably isn't quite the same thing

4. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Roughrider,
    I would be very surprised if you Couldn't hear where the sub was with it playing on it's own, so don't worry about that.
    Even with a 90hz crossover it will still be getting some higher localisable frequencies, albeit at a reduced/rolled off level, due to the nature of the crossover.
    As long as you can't tell where the sub is when everything is playing then you are alright, if you Can then you may have problems.
    I hope this helps,

Paul.

5. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tks Paul it's fine now. No, it's awesome now. Whilst wiring it up tidily I added a 6th (centre rear) at the same time (floorstander, found it in my loft) and I have sort of calibrated the sub too - at least I have got the levels right if not the frequency response. Having a lot of fun with all my music and GTA 3 Vice City in 6.1ES, it's unreal. And of course showing people the Darla bit of Nemo ha ha ha I've got so many rattles in my room now, even the door knocker goes! :clap: