Can you hear fan noise?

bluesfan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I know heat dispersal is an issue. On av amps with fans are they audible during quiet passages. I'm weary of buying an amp with a fan for this reason (eg AX3, 4550, etc.).

Anyone?

I've had 3 different amps and never heard the fan on any of them. An amp's fan is MUCH quieter than one on a P.C. or laptop. Not an issue IMO unless your rack is 1 foot behind your head?

Hardly AV amps I guess,but it's very difficult to hear the fans on my KMA100's which have a far higher air flow than most AV receivers,so I'd be surprised if you have problems with a receiver,unless it's very close to your listening position.

It really depends on how sensitive your ears are and how quiet your listening area is.

I used to have a Nakamichi AV-10 amp and one night while watching a movie quietly (the family was asleep) I became aware of a noise from my rack. I worked out it was the Nak's fan and from that point on I became increasingly aware of the fan noise.

I eventually got rid of it and got a Denon 3803 (no fan) and now have a Marantz sr9300 (no fan). :) It has made a difference to me (though it's worth noting that I subsequently discovered the Nak had a reputation for fan noise).

Trying running a DTS disc on an MC-1...now that's fan noise:D

I hate the fan noise that comes from my X-Box with a passion :mad:, then again, it's doing the job of a fully fledged PC in a small space so I shouldn't complain too much!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom