Can you have two iTunes on ! P.C

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by grahamricho, Sep 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi all, I have a Sonos (multi room ) system and when I ripped all my cds i left them at full size no compression. (AIFF)
    So when i got my iPod I had to convert the tracks i wanted into ACC.
    When i plug my ipod in i have to make a playlist of the tracks i want, convert them to ACC find the new ACC versions in my library, move them to a new playlist, delete the original playlist (because the tracks are full size in AIFF)
    Then sync my ipod to the latest playlist and then if i dont want two versions on my iTunes of the tracks , I have to find them in the library and then delete them !
    Is there a way where i could have 2 iTunes on my pc ? one in AIFF for my Sonos and one in ACC for my iPod ? thanks

2. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    No, but A better idea would be to convert those AIFF's to ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) and rip to ALAC in future. ALAC is compressed, but it's lossless so they will sound just as good as the orginal CD and those AIFF's. Then just set iTunes to convert to AAC when you transfer to the iPod.

3. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Was going to say - isn't there a way to set it so that it converts on the fly during the sync, so that the tracks being put on the iPod are compressed AAC but the original tracks on the PC remain unchanged?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    You can have two completely separate libraries in iTunes. Press and hold down the shift key whilst double clicking on on the iTunes icon to open the program up. It will give you the option of choosing which library to open or creating a new one. I use this to have one library with all my Apple Lossless files for managing my music for the Sonos system and I have a separate library with 320kbps mp3 files for synching with my iPod.

I use the Apple Lossless Library as my master library and rip everything to it using iTunes. I then use dBPower Amp to convert all of the Apple Lossless Files to 320kbps mp3s and store them in a separate folder. I then add this folder to my other iTunes library that I only want to contain mp3s and podcasts etc.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,277
    You could also have 2 separate iTunes and libraries set up by having 2 different Windows User logins and then install iTunes in another user. This might mean re-repping again though.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,277
    My iTunes doesn't do anything different if I hold down the shift whilst clicking on the icon :confused:

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Should need to keep the shift button held d0own until the dialogue box pops up. It definitely works I just tried it again on my work machine.

Also try maximising and then minimising some of your open windows if you do not see the dialogue box, sometmes it hides itself but reappears if you start minimising other windows. It is easier to do if you have the iTunes icon on your Quick Launch bar, all you need to do is hold down the shift key and press the icon on the Quick Launch bar once. Keep the shift key held down until you see the dialogue box, it takes around 3 seconds after you have presson the iTunes icon.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,277
    Cheers :thumbsup: I wasn't keeping the shift held down after clicking on the icon !