1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you have to much base??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Supernosh, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a real question, I have just bought the following:

B&W VM1's
    B&W ASW675

and to be honest the base is a little scary. Makes the house shake and can feel it in my chest!!

Sounds great but I am not sure if this sub is to much for my room size (12ft x 18ft). Unfortunately in the real world sound levels need to be kept to a reasonable level!!

I am not sure if I have the setting wrong but I took some advice from the guy at the place I bought it and have the setting fairly low??

Any thoughts??

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Maybe turn the bass down a bit more ... both on the back of the sub and also on your AV amp.

I assume you are just connecting with low level connection, not a speaker level connector?

Vikki

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As long as it is controlled then never, not ever, nope i really don't think so, certainly not, does a goldfish like Tetra-Flakes.

Steve.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The ASW is a powerful little beastie to be sure. After I set up my sub using a SPL meter I found the level of bass too high so knocked it down by 4db, I'm happy with it now.

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I should play around with the setting until I get it right?

I was really just wondering if I had gone overboard buying this sub?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    See if you can buy/borrow an Avia disk and SPL meter to set the levels properly a simple ish task that should get the levels spot on mate.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You are almost better off settting the sub level by ear since unless your room is heavily treated you'll have big differences in volume across the frequency range. Don't fall ino the trap of calibrating it and leaving it there even if it dosn't sound right. Trust your ears.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi supernosh
    The asw675 is quite fussy .set up does take a while to get right.
    I also made the mistake of having the subs volume turned up to high .My room is 16'x14' i have the volume only just turned on dont go by the manual which says to turn volume to 12oclock then alter on the amps bass management this is way too high also leave the subs setting on A not B.When positioning the sub i found that the best place for it was to the left of my front speaker(about 7ft from it) angled so the sub fired in to the centre of the room 'dont give up on the sub as when set up right it truly sounds awesome.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys! Was getting a bit sad but I will have a play and see what I can see!!

Gonzo - I have mine in the corner behind the TV cabinet, unfortunately this is the only place I can put it due to many young children who would gladly kill something that nice looking! (shame I have to hide it really!!)

Do you think this is likely to cause me issues if I cant try it in any other possitions?

Cheers!

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi supernosh
    I would most definitely say having the sub behind the tv is giving you room boom.Prior to me moving the sub it was facing the side of the sofa about 5 feet away. The sub sounded overpowering i then moved it at an angle so it fired in to open space the other sofa being around 15'away the sub then showed its true colours it now sounds tight and controlled loads better than when being loaded against the side of the sofa.All i could advise if you cant get to move the sub is swap for a down firing sub such as the mj pro 150 not as fussy about positioning.
    Its just a shame because it really is a good sub when set up right.
    Gonzo.:(

11. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your right it is a lovely sub and I'm loathed to get rid of it!!

I think I might have a bit of a play and see if I can come up with a compromise.

Cheers for the advice!

12. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I don't know how your sub looks, in way of color, shape and size, but I have my sub inconspiciously in my room as a sort of small table. It only has some books on it, and on top of that a (computer) keyboard, but you have to blink twice to see it's there. This way, in my 17x17 ft room, it is idealy situated.

13. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem isnt how it looks (it is the nicest looking sub I have seen!!) Its just that I need to get it out of the way of the kids.

They destroy all things!!

Role on 15 years when they all leave home and I can have some nice things again!!

14. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Gonzo is right about the MJA subs - my ref 100 is in the corner of an alcove & it is just dandy. It does create room boom at around 60 hz on the Avia sweep but I haven't noticed this in listening (I suspect that this may be due to having the volume lower in normal listening).

I borrowed a 675 prior to deciding on my current sub & found it very hard to get right in my room, since placing it away from everything seemed the only way it was happy - not practical. I wouldn't give up just yet. It is a good piece of kit & with a bit of trial & error it may be fine. As I said definitely try knocking the volume back & while you're at it try throwing the rule book out completely e.g. turn in to face the wall, mess about with the phase control. If you don't try it you'll never know.

15. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I mentioned 'looks' as that it could pass for a table. But if the young kids you mentioned are your own (or often present) than indeed it must be put somewhere save.