1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you have different sky digital channels running on Sony 36fs70's multi pic setup?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pauleylad, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I heard that you can have upto 12 differnet pictures on the screen at the same time. Does this mean you could watch 2 sports channels on the same screen at the same time. I can't see how this is possible but thought I would check with someone who has the set.
    Also how do you feel the set copes with Sky's digital output. I heard that there was some trouble with it?

Thanks a lot.
    Paul

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    What I think you are talking about it PAP.. Picture Around Picture.

Basically, the channel you are watching goes into the middle of the screen at about 1/8th size and keeps moving (i.e real time video)

Then you get small pictures which appear in clockwise direction around the first one. These are moving at first, then freeze as the next one appears and so on.

So, you end up with a moving picture in the middle, and a set of 10 stills around the outside which update every 30 seconds or so. (in a clockwise direction)

However, the TV only displays picutures from your stored inputs.. So in my case it will go:-

BBC1
    BBC2
    ITV
    CH4
    SKY
    VCR
    DVD

Each of these is given a number from 1 to 0, and if you press that number on the remote, they appear in the middle window (as real time video).

The problem with Sky is that the TV only sees it as one channel..

So, what ever is on Sky will appear on the Sky channel (in my case Ch.6).

The TV has no way to control the Digibox, so will not be able show a different Sky channel.. As far as the TV is concerned, its just another SINGLE channel, so will only show it once per set of channels.

Even if you had a way to manually change Sky channels one by one.. You would still only get one picture from Sky every 7th channel (in my case).

To be honest, the feature is pretty useless.. In countries where they have 100s of TV stations, presented as individual channels on the TV, I can see it as a good idea, but in the UK no.

I hope this helps.. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

3. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Jon for that useful info. How do you find the picture with Sky Digital and are you happy with your set?

Cheers
    Paul

4. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

To watch 2 satellite channels at the same time,would require a twin tuner satellite receiver.Such a box is going to be released by Pace in a few months.