Can you guys recommend a Blu-Ray Drive please.

BlAdEAnGeL

Established Member
Reaction score
I only require reader for Blu-Ray's it has to be reliable and able to read most media, if it supports burning on normal (SL and DL DVD's) then that's OK. Not have the software sorted yet but am kind of torn between DVD Fab 8 and AnyDVD DH, have to use my mates laptop at this time to back up my movies which is cumbersome.:thumbsdow Hence why want to get my own gear. My media streamer is PlayonHD2 Mini with two external 2tb drives. Thank you in advance.:thumbsup:

DARN IT!!!!:( Can't change the main thred for typo, can a mod do it for me please?:smashin:

Last edited:
Had a Pioneer BDR-206DBK for a few months,
Never had a problem,
Seems very fast, i'm no expert, but i think it can handle the latest 100GB+ disks,
£99 on Amazon

Thanks mate, shame you're the only one who answered. Bought a blu-ray reader from Aria last month and for now will do me. Looking at building a HTPC in not too distant future, got few components but still udecided, I will add this to the list and see how I get on. What happened to the Pioneer?

It was in my PC tower, along with a Samsung DVD burner,
PC died late June, would no boot or power up correctly,
Its 8 years old, so decided to get a laptop, Pioneer is currently disconnected, awaiting a external enclosure, should be ok on USB2,
Which should have the bandwidth for Blu ray read/write at 1X or 2X, or maybe up to 8X, cannot remember,
Think USB2 bandwidth is up to 480MBS ?
Got to try it anyway,
Have used both software you mentioned, they are OK,
But it takes quite a few hours to rip a DL Blu Ray disk, its really an overnight job.
Google Imgburn as well.

Last edited:
BTW, which Blu Ray drive did you get ?

Got this one but it's gone up in price, I got it for £39 vat inclusive.
LG CH10LS20 10x BluRay-ROM / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black (Retail) - Aria Technology Only had it for a week or so, so can't really comment on how good it is as I don't have the software yet (still undecided) so will have a look at Imgburn as well.

Gonna go for an i3 core, still undecided on mobo. Looking for one with optical (prefably) and coax if I can find one with both then the better. Thinking of installing Ubuntu and XMBC however not having dealt with Linux ever not sure on how difficult/easy is it to do.
Case, something like this: SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

Graphics card would be something like this: ATI Fanless HD6670 Ultimate 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HMDI
Two hard drives for media and one SSD for OS and ununtu.

Got the same drive too. What are you going to be using your system for? HTPC? Home server? Ripping media?

But it takes quite a few hours to rip a DL Blu Ray disk, its really an overnight job.
Overnight :eek: I can rip a BD on PC saved direct to my server in around 2 hours - faster if saved directly to my PC.
Google Imgburn as well.
ImgBurn is a good burning program, but it wont let you rip a commercial BluRay or DVD disc due to the copy protection they all have. You need AnyDVD HD or DVDFab (or similar) to rip commercial discs.

Mark.

Got the same drive too. What are you going to be using your system for? HTPC? Home server? Ripping media?

Will be ripping the movies directly to the system (most likely ISO or just the movie, not yet sure), and storing the media elsewhere hence me wanting two drives for media one for the os.

Just read that about imageburn, still undecided on what software to use. What do you have to rip your movies with MarkE19?

MarkE19 said:
Overnight :eek: I can rip a BD on PC saved direct to my server in around 2 hours - faster if saved directly to my PC.

ImgBurn is a good burning program, but it wont let you rip a commercial BluRay or DVD disc due to the copy protection they all have. You need AnyDVD HD or DVDFab (or similar) to rip commercial discs.

Mark.

I know Imgburn does not shrink, but I'll get back on the ripping of discs

Just read that about imageburn, still undecided on what software to use.
As I said previously you can't use only ImgBurn to rip a commercial disc as it doesn't have the ability to get around the copy protection - you need another program to do this such as......
What do you have to rip your movies with MarkE19?
AnyDVD HD and if I want a partial rip I also use DVDShrink or MakeMKV.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom