Can you get proper whites on a Grey Wolf II

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating on if its worth be routing out by GWII screen (which I belive is still at my Mums since I moved 12 months ago) and having another go at using it

When we moved I managed to get hold of a very cheap pure white electric screen and have been very happy with it. The reason I gave up with the GWII was always having a grey picture

Never managed to get nice whites (scenes with clouds etc always looked like a storm was brewing)

So anyone think its worth me giving it another go ?

If it's not costing you anything to try then it's worth giving it a try. Put the two side by side and compare.

As Walter says, definitely worth a try, though if you have ambient light problems or a brightly decorated room the GWII has its advantages. Interesting that you say the you could never get good whites, since grey is just white at a different luminence, and given the eye has it's own white balance, the clouds should still look white unless you put a white reference into view. Of course knowing the screen is grey can also make you expect whites to look grey. The eye/brain is quite complex and a bit of a bugger at times...

Gary

No don't give it another go.

You say you have a cheap electrical which you are happy with. Before, you used a Greywolf you weren't happy with.

Unless things have changed, why would you give it another go?? Seems rather pointless to go back to something you don't like in exchange for something you do.

Maybe I am missing things here?

Otto
Beamax

If it costs nothing then it's always worth a go. It's predominantly down to how dark the grey surface is.
I've never been able to get a good white/colour balance on any standard grey screen but most of the manufacturers supply light grey (high contrast) surfaces like the Draper High Contrast Grey and HiDef Grey, Projecta High Contrast S or the Beamax High Contrast V4, none of which impare the whites significantly.
Some grey surfaces are too dark which will impare whites and colours. The Grey Wolf 2 is Mid-Grey so will definately impare the whites and colours.
Grey screens offer darker blacks but if you have light coloured smooth walls, you will still suffer with reflection overlay, even on the grey surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Debating on if its worth be routing out by GWII screen (which I belive is still at my Mums since I moved 12 months ago) and having another go at using it

When we moved I managed to get hold of a very cheap pure white electric screen and have been very happy with it. The reason I gave up with the GWII was always having a grey picture

Never managed to get nice whites (scenes with clouds etc always looked like a storm was brewing)

So anyone think its worth me giving it another go ?

Well the room is pretty much as dark as it can get.

Dark walls, black ceiling, blackout blind along with fully lined curtains

If ambient light of any sort isn't going to be present, then a white screen is a better choice.

Gary

ive just been doing many experiments on this very subject.

I have painted a section of wall from white to light to mid gray. i have magnolia walls.

results? white surface lets you bask in that wonderful lumenescence to the pq, whites are ummm really white, and colours and the upper end of the grayscale looks beautiful. But! my eye is continaully looking for more solidity and details in the dark areas which were very lacking.

so onto light gray, definite improvement and more solidity, whites still ok, and their is more for the eye/brain to accept as 'real' if you get my meaning.

then a mid gray which i have just tried. huge difference to the detail in darker areas, like night and day agaisnt a white screen, and the scenes look more real, more solid......... the grayscale seems to 'fit' properly and the pq seems 'right' but! hmmmmmm now the glow of the pq is seriously hamstrung. im now not getting the vibrancy of light, and the upper grayscale is not quite right.

So im going to repaint a slightly lighter shade, take a hit on the dark areas but i think its the right balance for me.....

im really glad i tried these experiments, and it is down to personal judgement. unfortunately, its not just ambient light conditions that play a part its the native brightness and CONTRAST of the projector, so there is no way i can get perfection but i can get the best out of it.

anyway, hope my ramblings helped haha

Have to say that I agree with that

Would very much like a Grey Wolf II type screen but without the glass beads - just bog standard grey screen

Have to say that I agree with that

Would very much like a Grey Wolf II type screen but without the glass beads - just bog standard grey screen

me too, im too close to the picture to use a glass beaded.....

Having decided to ditch the GWII because of the beading issue I'm finding I currently get a better picture on a magolia wall* than the GWII... I'm expecting white to be amazing.

* The HD1 has good contrast to start with so it's not gaining from the grey. I haven't got my new screen yet.. ordered from leconcepts.. bad move.. they suddenly 'ran out' of stock.. no response to emails, don't pick up the phone, and despite 2 emails requesting such they haven't cancelled (or even processed, beyond it saying 'pending') the order or even replied to say why they haven't done so... so I'm onto the recorded delivery letters/stern warnings stage with them.

makes you realise theres a lot of common sense to be used in this area, 'proper' arent really all they are cracked up to be. theres no huge leap in pq......but im talking budget screens not silly money.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom