Can you get lead from a scrapyard?

goatywoaty

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I posted another thread elsewhere on the forum about getting lead shot, and its really expensive, £70 for a 30kg tub. All I want some for is to fill my speaker stands.

Does anyone know where I can get some cheaper (lead shot) or just chunks of lead would probably do.

I am also toying with the idea of melting some and pouring it into my stands :eek:

Im sure I read somewhere that some scrapyards have lead as it has something to do with car wheels?

If anyone could inform me where I could get any, that would be great!

Also waste steel chips or something like that might be good?

Thought I would ask in the general section as it may get a greater response!

Cheers,

Kiran :)

Don't go melting lead mate, very dangerous :lesson:

Just fill the stands with bags of kiln dried (oven dried) sand, or clay based cat litter, safe cheap and easy.

I would go down the sand route, but if you really want lead a builders or roofing merchant will be your best bet.

Hiya Mylo :) I know its very dangerous, I would enlist the help of my dad, we would do it with protective gear on, face masks etc.

I like the idea of lead over sand because its nigh-on the heaviest thing you could fill it with, would make the stand very heavy indeed :)

Even if I dont melt the lead, I would prefer to fill them with chunks of lead from a scrapyard, if anyone has any information about this?

goatywoaty said:
Hiya Mylo :) I know its very dangerous, I would enlist the help of my dad, we would do it with protective gear on, face masks etc.

I like the idea of lead over sand because its nigh-on the heaviest thing you could fill it with, would make the stand very heavy indeed :)

Even if I dont melt the lead, I would prefer to fill them with chunks of lead from a scrapyard, if anyone has any information about this?
If you are just after the lead weights used to balance car wheels and are not going to melt them(bear in mind that most also have a differrent metal clip to fix them on) go and speak to your local friendly tyre dealer, they usually have bins of them left over from balancing wheels.
Might even get them as a freebie as I think they have to pay to dispose of them.

can be anything from 1/2" long to about 1" usually about 1/2" square section.
I think they are actually sized by weight.

goatywoaty said:
Hi everyone, I posted another thread elsewhere on the forum about getting lead shot, and its really expensive, £70 for a 30kg tub. All I want some for is to fill my speaker stands.

Does anyone know where I can get some cheaper (lead shot) or just chunks of lead would probably do.

I am also toying with the idea of melting some and pouring it into my stands :eek:

Im sure I read somewhere that some scrapyards have lead as it has something to do with car wheels?

If anyone could inform me where I could get any, that would be great!

Also waste steel chips or something like that might be good?

Thought I would ask in the general section as it may get a greater response!

Cheers,

Kiran :)
Who quoted £70 and how much do you actually need?

Eager Beaver

it was some diving equipment website, im not sure how much each stand can hold, but i want enough to fill it 3/4 of the way, im estimating 45kgs. can you get hold of any? :)

goatywoaty said:
/quote]

My old man used to work in the printing industry and always volunteered to take the used aluminium printing plates down to the scrap yard. Reason being that part payment was taken in scrap lead which was subsequently used to make weights for our deep sea fishing expeditions. :smashin:

The yard always had lots of it (probably knicked off some church roof somewhere).

Obviously molten metal is dangerous but if you are aware of that fact then you will take appropriate precautions, and I see nothing wrong with your idea.

goatywoaty said:
it was some diving equipment website, im not sure how much each stand can hold, but i want enough to fill it 3/4 of the way, im estimating 45kgs. can you get hold of any? :)
Yes i can but please work out the volume of each stand and i will be able to get the exact amount.Roughly 6kg will fill 1 litre.

Eager Beaver

scrap lead from a scrap yard should be around 60p a kilo,so 30kg should be around £18.

ah ok thanks for that, ive just spoken to my dad who said it was a stupid idea as lead is ludicrously expensive :rolleyes:

Im going to ring round a few places though.

Ive got another idea though, Im going to ring up a shot blasting firm and try to get some of their waste steel shot, might be mixed up with a bit of sand etc, but should be very heavy :)

If you can get yourself down to the Fens (east of Peterborough), I have a substantial amount of lead (at least 45Kg) which you can have for 50p a kilo. It's in blocks, about 10" square, by about an inch thick. I wouldn't advise melting it down, but you can hit lead with big hammers to reshape it really easily. Always wear gloves when handling lead.

I dont think I would be able to get down there tbh mate, but thanks for the offer anyway! :)

goatywoaty said:
Ah ok, where abouts are you located and how much would 6kgs cost roughly?
Should cost about £12 but if cost is a problem why dont you go to Readymix in Huddersfield and get some conrete mix and pour it in.

Eager Beaver

You can get sheet lead for repairing roofs from builders merchants. It's usually about 1/8" thick, comes on a roll about 9" wide. You buy it by the foot.

yeah lead that way is very expensive though my dad was telling me...

eager beaver, yeah £2 a kg is a bit expensive for me, sorry. The concrete idea is a good one but im going to investigate shot blasting waste first though I think :)

Bowing back lane metal merchants. BFD deal with lead metal etc . try them.

I'm gonna pass their yard today i think. I will get their number etc and you can buz them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom