1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you get high quality Neutrik Speakon sub cables?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bjcol, Jan 29, 2004.

1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one with my MJ Acoustics Ref 100 but the cable doesn't look that great quality. Just wondering if you can get better ones like with line level interconnects.

2. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm curious as I bought an M J Acoustics Reference 100 just two weeks ago, and they are not supplied with a Neutrik Speakon cable as standard - it confirms this on their website.

Did you buy yours seperately, or are you thinking about the low level phono/RCA cable?

3. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was separate from the sub.

4. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for confirming that!

I know what you mean though, it doesn't look anything special. I'm borrowing a Neutrik Speakon cable from the dealer so I can use it for the time being with my older Arcam stereo amplifier - new Denon A/V amp due in another week or so.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you want a really good one(albeit not cheap) have a look at the Neutrik equipped cables from Russ Andrews.
    They certainly aren't cheap,but the quality is excellent.

www.russandrews.com

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Keep an eye on ebay - I brought a very nice one for an REL starta there

7. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    van den hul offer them as well but not as an off the shelf item

9. johnvnross

johnvnross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I to had the same problem - I;ve got 3 Mj acoustics subs and thought the high level wires were pants.

ANSWER: Build your own - Head to the neutrik site for the speakon how to wiring guide and add either single wire ( for single speaker) enhancement - or bi wire for three wire stereo enhancement - I'm using chord epic twin to great effect.

There: my first post to a question asked five years ago!!

shocker.

10. Arendal - Russell

Arendal - Russell
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    I know this is an old thread, but let me nip this in the bud before it takes off:

Can anybody above tell me why you need a 'quality' high level cable? Thought not.

Virtually no current flows in the cable because the high level input of a sub has an input impedance in the range of 10s of kΩ, so virtually no current is flowing. V=IR for those who've forgotten.

The high level input simply 'reads' the potential difference across the amplifiers output terminals (like a voltmeter), whilst all current is supplied by the sub's own amp so frankly, it would make no difference if you used bell-wire; In cables of the length we use, with this little current and resistance in the range of µΩ and therefore beyond the limits of hearing, you WILL be wasting money.

If you think this cable can make any difference to something as blunt, slow and easy as sub-bass, then here's the Nordost Website.

Russell

11. johnvnross

johnvnross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Russell. Quite a grumpy reply to a newbie!

I suppose in a world where everyone puts "high quality" cables on everything; it seemed odd to have such a skinny looking unshielded wire kicking about in my system.

I just thought as 'stuff'; information, was going from point A to point B better quality cable might help.

I guess you'll think my clearer audio silver line mains cables aren't a sensible buy either (lol) (which I love by the way and think make a massive difference)

All the best

john

12. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    It doesn't get any better the longer you are around ;)

Adam

13. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    I guess one might be able to convey to Russell how grumpy he is being by replying with an appropriate musing.

Dont buy overly expensive cables. See, I'm bang on topic :smashin:

14. Arendal - Russell

Arendal - Russell
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    I certainly didn't mean it to come across that way, but anybody who doesn't like it can do one as far as I'm concerned.:D

Subwoofer cables are a bit of a special case, because all the information they carry is to put it mildly, rather low resolution and rather robust with it. Beyond sheilding against intrusive mains hum, which is unlikely to impact the high level input anyway, there's really very little you need to bother with as long as the connectors are well engineered, which the Neutrik Speakon connector is. I'm about to use the same connector for connecting a 2x1400w amp into a pair of DIY subs I'm messing with, so it's not going to struggle with a high level feed with virtually no current flowing in it.

And that's the main point; With the entire signal comprised of large voltages and no current flow to restrict, there's nothing to be gained by using a larger, free flowing pipe, because nothing is flowing. It may seem contrary to accepted hi-fi wisdom, but then accepted hi-fi wisdom should be questioned more often than it is.

I'm certainly not one of those who think cables make no difference, just that some of the differences ascribed to them are considerably greater than the reality and frequently inconvenient truths are ignored. I've actually DIYed some fairly serious mains cables myself, although the objective was to tidy up the rack a bit. The thing is, unless you are prepared to rip out and replace your household cable behind the socket, then changing the last metre isn't going to make a substantial difference unless the original lead was particularly deficient. If it could, then by definition the mains cable connected to the rear of the socket would be good enough for the mains lead too as single extra metre of cable can't improve on anything that precedes it.

My main issues with cables are the amount of money spent on it for some of the fanciful concoctions out there. Often as not, a much larger difference would be made by using sensibly engineered cables of relatively modest cost and spending the difference on the component it's connected to instead. For instance an expensive high level lead may be worth it with a really good sub, but it would be an absolutely pointless distribution of budget when hanging on a small budget sub.

Russell

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I had it from the horses mouth that any old lighting flex is good enough for any subwoofer on high level connections. High input impedance to the plate amp makes a complete mockery of anything you can possibly connect to it. Buy any cable you like the look of and donate something to charity as penance for your publicly professed gullibility. Or use a damp piece of string like we did in the old days and it never done us no harm. Cue: MP "We were that poor" sketch. :suicide:

16. johnvnross

johnvnross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The thing is, unless you are prepared to rip out and replace your household cable behind the socket, then changing the last metre isn't going to make a substantial difference unless the original lead was particularly deficient.

Russell[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. As I built my house I could ensured that my home cinema room mains cabling (which is on a separated ring spur) was in a shielded tube - essentially fire regs. main cable that was housed within an thick aluminum tube. I also used aluminum foil (industrial strength) to double line the walls, ceiling and floor of the space and earth my lining with a ground spike.

Within this context those clearer audio cables still made a big difference. weird but there you go.

cheers

john

17. Jamestuk

Jamestuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Out of interest what differences do you experience?