1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you get HD without an HDTV ready TV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by smashed, Aug 28, 2005.

1. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    After reading the bbc page..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4177742.stm

it stated...
    "There were concerns that the initially high prices of ready-made HDTV sets - would put off potential converts.

Sky is producing an HD box, which can be connected to any sort of television set, but consumers are being advised to buy those with an HDTV capability. "

Are they saying that you can get HDTV via a special box.. or are they just saying you will be wasting your time buying that box??

I thought you HAD to have HDTV ready TV's ?

Cheers

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    You may be able to connect the Sky HD box to any TV but I can't see how you can view HD pictures if the TV isn't capable of displaying them??

3. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Cheers for the quick response.
    That is what I believed, although I am definitely no expert.

Typical case of HDTV media confusion. Annoying seeing as these articles are supposed to inform the reader :rolleyes:

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    They are probably confused as to what they mean

1. the SKy HD box will output a SD signal if you wish - so you can use it with existing SD teles
    2. Sky HD doesn't require (in the short term at least) HDMI/HDCP connections. So an existing HD resolution tv but that doesnt have the lastest digital interfaces with content protection will still work via component inputs

5. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I thought that "hi def" was only accessible using a digital feed (HDMI) and that you couldnt use component for it.
    Are you saying that if my TV (36zp48) takes component, it can take hi-def, or does it also have to have some kind of computer wizardry built in?

Im sure I read months ago that people were being sold HDTV ready TV's that werent really HDTV ready because they didnt have HDMI ?

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Yes. Sky will have component outputs for HD.
    But, your TV still isn't HD resolution, so however you connect it you will only get an SD resolution picture.

7. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    So to cut a long story short... no point getting the box just yet.

Cheers for your help :)

8. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    So is an HD programme going to look DVD quality at least on a standard (SD) TV ?

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is a very good argument to be made to say a superior source such as HD when down converted to SD will look better than the same content broadcast in SD to begin with.
    However only time will tell if that is the case under actual broadcast conditions.
    Considering the costs involved in getting SKY+ HD it is highly questionable if that would be a worthwhile investment considering the amount of HD content at least in the first year. Even a FTA Dsat receiver for say any BBC output will still cost a bundle.

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    because knowing Sky they'll compress the hell out of their HD channels once more channels become available. How long before we get the first "Sky HD PQ is as bad as SD PQ" threads i wonder?

I'd certainly say that unless you really, really need to see Sport in hi-def to hang fire. I'm still not clear what programming they're going to show on Sky One HD in place of all the SD repeats they have most of the day (and early evening).

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    At last! The possibility that DTV will match the quality of commercial DVDs :thumbsup:

12. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I would be surprised if they did. That would be shooting themselves in the foot. The only justification for HD is improved picture quality, so it has be be visibly better else why bother?

But yes, this is Sky we are talking about...

I am assuming, and I could be wrong, that Sky One HD is just a mirror of Sky One SD, with programmes in HD where available. That's the way I interpreted it. I didn't read Sky's announcement that is would be a Sky One "mix" type channel that ONLY had HD content. According to Digitalspy, "The simulcast version of Sky One..."

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Still some confusion on that:)

The current SKY1 line up couldn't be simulcast 24/7 in HD without upconverting SD only material, that would stick out like a sore thumb against native HD content.
    So it's possible that SKY1 itself may be revamped and there are rumours(we love rumours:) ) of MIX becoming SKY2 and SKY3 being created which may impact the future lineup of SKY1 HD.

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Though this is exactly what happens on some of the HD channels in the US. Upconverted digital component sourced material can often appear better than the same material broadcast via a standard SD outlet - as a result of the upconversion (especially on film rather than video sourced material) and reduction in compression during transmission.
    It is possible, I guess, that Sky 1 will become HD only - with SD stuff dumped on Sky 2 I guess - though I suspect that some of Sky's original Sky 1 shows (like Dream Team?) are still SD, but also still more in keeping with Sky 1? However you spin it, Sky 2 and Sky 3 will be seen in the same way as ITV2 and ITV3 - lower quality spin-offs - and this wouldn't be good for original SD shows Sky have commissioned?

Or have they commissiond all new UK productions in HD?

15. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi all,

I've had my Toshiba 36ZP46 CRT television for the past year and found it to have excellent reception but recently I'm convinced of an improvement in picture quality on some of the BBC channels. Sky Sports also had a programme about a fishing competition some time ago and up till then I had never seen clarity like it and this was ever before I had made a connection in my mind between programmes shot in HD and a possible improvement in picture quality when shown on CRT.

Today as I flicked idly through the TV I was immediately captivated by the quality on the rubbishy series Home and Away (Australia have HD TV I believe) on my local RTE (Ireland) channel. I thought the clarity, smoothness and lack of flicker was outsanding. I felt moved to call in my wife to look at it. She also agreed that it was outstanding.

This begs the question: Are some SD-shot programmes outstandingly good, or am I watching HD-shot programmes and my CRT getting a consequent boost? Either way, picture quality on some programmes is definitely outstanding.

Regards,

BrianPK

16. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Some shows we see on SD TV these days are now shot HD, or shot film and transferred and edited in HD, for us to watch downconverted in SD.

Odd that you pick out a lack of flicker on Home and Away though - since they moved to shooting HD rather than SD they also moved from 50i to 25p, so the motion is actually much MORE flickery (or juddery) as the number of pictures you see a second was halved from 50 fields to 25 frames.

The common shows shot film or HD and edited HD are :
    CSI, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, The West Wing, ER etc. (In fact pretty much any 16:9 US TV series these days - though some of the older Fox 16:9 series were SD 16:9.)

In the UK the Proms concerts, Rockface, Carols from Kings, and the forthcoming Bleak House are all HD productions, as were Super Volcano, The Last of the Blonde Bombshells, and the forthcoming Rome. (Most of these were HD because they were co-productions with the US or Japan)

Home and Away in Aus is also HD.

I doubt the fishing show you saw on Sky was HD, unless it was an American show bought from someone like Discovery, who are HD over there.