Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can you get dvd players with DVI output?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidagodfrey, May 31, 2005.

1. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get dvd players with a dvi output connector?

1. If so which manufacturers make them?

2. Will I see an improvement in picture quality compared to my current set up? (I am feeding a 42" plasma with an RGB signal via a SCART lead.)

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Cheers.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    1. Yes, just about all the major DVD brands make models with DVI, or HDMI which can be used with a screen with a DVI input.

2. depends on your current equipment. A good RGB or YUV feed will look better than a poor DVI. But a good DVI/HDMI should out perform any analogue connections.
    Does your DVI plasma input have HDCP? Just about all DVD players will have HDCP via DVI & HDMI and if the screen does not answer the HDCP handshake you wont get an output over the digital connection.

Mark.

3. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

1. I couldn't see any dvd players on the Sony uk web site with a DVI output. I only checked theirs and when I couldn't see one I thought I'd beter find out if such a thing exists before going any further. Can you recommend any?

2. My plasma is a Hitachi 42pd5100 which I'm sure does have HDCP input.

I am thinking of replacing my dvd player and wondered what is available. I was going to wait till the HD dvd players come out but you know they'll be so expensive I was going to try an interim upgrade.

What is all this progressive scan business about too?

Thanks again, David.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    1. What do you want to spend on the DVD player?

2. Well I can find no definate answer to say that your plasma is HDCP complient. I couldn't even say for sure that it is progressive scan compatable.

Progressive Scan: A normal TV picture updates the screen in 2 passes. First pass will update lines 1, 3, 5, 7 etc and second 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. A progressive scan image updates the complete screen in a single pass which should give a sharper, smoother moving picture.

Mark.

5. ilrenato

ilrenato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the secrets dvd (www.hometheaterhifi.com) test if you want a player that is good on DVI.

Best bet for your $ oppo dv971h. Or in europe bbk dv971h. Search on msn.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    as you have a hitachi screen do your research PS makes no difference and DVi may or may not give an improvement Component probably will give you a better PQ tho

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    davidagodfrey, I have a Denon 2910 using DVI into a 32PD5200 and it works very well. Although Hitachi don't make much of an issue of it, its DVI input is HDCP compliant. Set the input to STB and it will accept and scale any of the conventional progressive and interlaced inputs except PAL progressive. This is not really that big a deal because it will accept 1080i which gives (me) very good results. I will say without too much fear of being wrong that the way my Hitachi handles RGB via scart that the difference will be like night and day. What DVD player do you have because if it has component outputs that would also be a big improvement over RGB scart. Also as stated above, a HDMI equipped DVD player should be fine with the appropriate DVI-D to HDMI cable.