Can you get a shock from a SCART lead?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Chris The Ninja, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Chris The Ninja

    Chris The Ninja
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Messages:
    176
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or more correctly I DID get a shock from a SCART lead last night. Quite a big one. It is plugged into my TV at one end and I took the other end out of my Freeview box and got the shock. Does this mean the shielding is not connected on the SCART or something?
     
  2. eviljohn2

    eviljohn2
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2002
    Messages:
    7,545
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    86
    Location:
    Near London.
    Ratings:
    +208
    Are we talking about a serious electric shock or just a little bit of static buildup? It's quite possible that a groud loop or similar could lead to one of the connectors developing a charge, similarly the scart lead is very unlikely to be earthed through either appliance so the common 0V line could well be higher than earth. :)
     
  3. Chris The Ninja

    Chris The Ninja
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Messages:
    176
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would guess a reasonable amount of voltage and not much current, so maybe static. It was a definite stinger but it didn't burn me or anything. I guess I was more surprised than anything!
     

Share This Page

Loading...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice