1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you edit ripped footage from a DVD ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by minnie, Dec 6, 2004.

1. minnie

minnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be a dumb question, in which case I apologize in advance...
    Need to transfer some of my Hi 8 home movies into computer for editing.

I had been intending to transfer whole lock stock onto DVD discs through Jessops or similar anyway for archiving. So my question is ......... is it technically possible to then 'rip' certain bits from these said DVD disc onto the computer HD and then do my edits ? (am compiling a story about my children, so only using snippets here and there) Or is this a silly completely ridiculous idea ?

Or should I purchase a PCI video capture card and do it that way ? If so, any advice on a good make for less than £50.

My computer spec as follows :-

Athlon xp2800
    1 gig ram
    120gig hard drive
    Pinnacle Studio 9plus (no it didn't come with a card, a gift)

Will a simple hauppage tv card suffice ? or should I get a specific video capture card. I understand the tv cards do not have on board hardware acceleration, however I think my computer specs can cope with this ???

Hope you can give me some advice.

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    all the capture cards produce low quality pictures
    get a dvd standalone recorder, transfer to that
    edit on pc using tmpg dvd author, free from www.pegasys-inc.com for 30 days

3. minnie

minnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for answer. Forgot about buying my own DVD recorder and transferring myself, cheaper than sending away. I suppose they all come with analogue ins for direct recording.

Is it possible to just play the DVD on the computer and record only little snippets here and there. Or do you have to convert the whole thing first ? thereby taking up huge amounts of space.

thanks for answering my questions.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you can select any "clips" you like with dvd author, you don't have to play it
    and the transfer is digital, so no quality drops at all.
    recorders cost from £120 (liteon 500X is very good for that price) upwards
    buy 2 or 3 dvdrw disks and that is all you will ever need for editing from.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Sorry, but that statement is totally wrong! Capture devices that connect via USB are normally poor as are some others, but there are some that will give very good results. You can spend from around £25 for a Pinnacle PCI card up to £150+ for the Canopus ADVC converters that connect via firewire. Obviously spending more money will give beter results. If done correctly you can get results very close to those from a DV camcorder, obviously dependent on the quality of th origional footage.

www.ebuyer.co.uk
    Quickfind code: 36428
    £23.95 inc VAT

The problem with edits from a DVD disk is that the PC software will either need to convert the files resulting in a loss of quality or if not then at least due to the MPEG-2 compression used for a DVD the edits will not be frame accurate.

Mark.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    sorry, you don't appear to know what you are talking about.
    .VOB files produced on philips dvdr70/75/80 are industry standard
    and can be seamlessly and losslessly edited on a PC
    Who cares if it's plus or minus a few frames.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Software dependent!
    Many editing packages can not work directly from the VOB files and therefore will convert them first. This does loose quality.
    As for the 'plus or minus a few frames', well it is a lot more than just a few.

Mark.

8. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've used a PCI card (from Pinnacle), that I installed in my PC - it's very straight forward - to convert some analogue home movies onto DVD.
    An hour of VHS prduces an AVI file (on best setting) in the region of 20Gb (yes Twenty Giga-bytes!) :zonked:
    It can be edited - no dropped frames - and then rendered to DVD.
    Or it can just be rendered without editing - where it's compressed to fit on the DVD (4.7Gb).
    Not being overtechnical, my assumption is that something is lost as the file for the DVD is 20% the size of my "original" AVI file....
    I'd go for the PCI over the DVD direct - I think you have more control and better quality.....

9. minnie

minnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    thanks for the answers even if they are contradictory !!!

I have read up lots more and agree that that the best way to go would be separate AC/DV CONVERTER such as Canopus, THEN FIREWIRE - but tooo expensive at moment.

Don't really want to spend more than £50

SHOEHORN......"I've used a PCI card (from Pinnacle), that I installed in my PC - it's very straight forward - to convert some analogue home movies onto DVD.

Which model - can I ask how much ?
    Is the loss of quality very noticeable. Bearing in mind I will only be using 30secs to 3 min snippets of video. I wouldn't use one of these cheap cards to archive all my HI8. I would transfer them by stand alone and leave them. Just need the card to catch little snippets to insert in my still photo / fun presentations that I make up of the children using Pinnacle Studio 9.

Thanks

10. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well I've got this , but this looks good for the price too. :lesson:
    I've not seen either cheaper anywhere else during my "surfing" either.

11. minnie

minnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your info. However I am looking for just a card - the software that comes with your card - Studio 9 - I already bought last week........ before you ask, at that time I didn't realise that I would also want to use my old Hi8 footage. ( I bought Studio 9 originally to make presentations using my digital camera vido footage ...that's camera not camcorder), but got carried away and now have great ideas of using my old Hi 8 footage. SO I AM KICKING MYSELF THAT I DIDN'T THINK A BIT MORE AND GET THE COMBINED PACKAGE......................... so next question, please can someone answer, I am fed up with wading through endless searches for answers, .........................what would be the equivalent card to the one included in the £90 Pinnacle Av/Dv - becasue my software cost £42 on its own, so the card must be worth aboutn £50- £70 (considering the original selling price of the whole package)

Hope someone can enlighten me.