Can you defrag the ps3 HDD

portisheaddan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can you defrag the ps3 ? Just wondered with all these updates.

Im sure my ps3 has slowed down since I got it with the original firmware (2.36 last month).

The xmb has slowed down and I seam to be loosing disc space on the HDD I only have a couple of games on there.

Anyone?

A backup/restore would do nothing to improve the harddisk and a reformat results in a loss of data - I don't think you can do a complete system back up.

A backup will back everything on the disk except for copyright protected material.

Firmware on a 60gb is held in flash, but a 40gb requires reloading after a format via an USB device. User data and system settings are restored as part of the backup. Anyone who has performed a HDD will confirm that no data is lost.

A restore will copy the files back in a contiguous state and therefore, in theory, leave you with a unfragmented disk. (Not that there's anyway of telling unless there is a drastic performance increase).

What does user data include? All movies, pics, music etc? Does it include demos?

What does user data include? All movies, pics, music etc? Does it include demos?

I believe anything downloaded from PSN doesn't get backed up you need to download them again, i could be wrong, i do know for sure you can't with games from PSN.

When I replaced the 60 Gb disk in my PS3 I backed up the complete system (turned out to be 42 Gb of data even though the disk seemed to be nearly full), After formatting the new drive and before a restore, all the account information was there. On restoring, everything else was as it was before the HD swap.

I thought that linux based systems didn't get fragmented in the same was as windows ones anyway?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom