1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you copy a DVD film with a HDD/DVDR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phil.LFC, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just wondering if it is possible to copy a DVD disc (on a machine such as the Panny HS2) to the HDD, then back to a DVD-R disc?
    I believe there are cables available that by-pass Macrovision.
    If it is possible, what happens if I copy a R1 DVD - would the copy be R1:confused: :confused:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On a PC you can 'rip' a DVD to a hard disk and then 'transcode' it to DVD-R, compressing it because DVDs are usually dual-layer and there are no domestic dual-layer writes at present.

Macrovision is an analog protection, the ripping process breaks the encryption on the digital data on the DVD, preserving quality.

Search for 'DVD Decryptor', 'DVD Shrink', 'AnyDVD', there are many threads discussing these and the other tools you can use.

Don't think such tools are available on DVRs.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    It is not possible with a DVD Recorder. The CGMS (copyguard management system) copy protection stops any digital copies being made.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is not true

you can buy cables and have modifications made to get round this protection quite easily.

a burnt disc has no region coding

you can not copy a R1 disc using RGB on the HS2 though

Ignoring the legality I don't see much point in the DVD to DVDR route, you lose the extras, the PQ is obviously worse and no DTS/DD5.1. Let's face it DVDs are not exactly very expensive in sales.

I have used it to timeshift some rentals mind you which was useful. I can also create clips to use in presentations.

If you want to lend a dvd to a mate and don't trust them with an original, then perhaps

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Why not buy the original, they're not expensive, and you get the FULL content with 5.1 sound complete with original packaging.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 automatically changes the input to S-video from RGB if you input an NTSC signal,and the tv system needs to be changed in the menu aswell.So check the dvd player you are using has s-video output for R1 discs.
    Philips recorders copy over in RGB with NTSC