1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you convert this to a normal 3 pin plug?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by thecount, Apr 26, 2005.

1. thecount

thecount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a kenwood midi hifi turntable and the power plug on it is like this (see attached), I'd like to be able to convert it to a 3 pin plug without just simply cutting it off and putting a 3 pin plug on it. are there any options?

Attached Files:

2. BeStu

BeStu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs!! All you have here is a 5 amp twin with no earth. I.E. just connect the existing cables to neutral and live (it doesn't matter in which order) IMPORTANT!!!!!!! you are sure that this equipment IS 220-240 volts????? If its US in origin it may be 110 volts in whihch case DO NOT COONECT to the UK mains supply!!!!!!!!! Assuming it is 240v use a 3 amp fuse. If in ANY doubt consult a qualified electrician.

3. thecount

thecount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, but as I explained, I don't want to chop off the plug, is there not a converter to UK 3 pin?

4. BeStu

BeStu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok try this... get your hands on a kettle lead offer your TT plug up to it, you should see that both of the terminal pins line up with the sockets on the kettle lead. If so ou are in business!! If not I'm afraid its out with the snips. Anyway assuming the pins and sockets do align you need to carefuly remove the plastic locating lug on your TT lead (this will have no adverse effect on the plug... you just need to be a little more careful when plugging it into the outlet (pesumably on your other Kenwood gear) I removed some lugs I had on cables many years ago wthout too much difficulty, if I remember right I sed a stanley knife and a pair of pliers, don,t cut yourself I always do....

5. thecount

thecount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks, will try it!