Can you convert conventional speakers to wireless?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by brioni, Aug 4, 2006.

1. brioni

brioni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    2 questions i need help with:

1. I need a wireless 5.1 speaker set up. there are sets about, some cheap ones from Germany on ebay, one from Logitech but is it possible to take a quality wired set and use a piece of kit similar to the 2.4 GHz wireless A/V transmitters you can buy to send 1 channel of audio to the rear left and 1 to the rear right?

2. A more common question - I have a Panasonic 32" widescreen with 4.1 built-in. If I get a DVD recorder that I can plug the 5.1 system in directly what will happen with audio on TV broadcasts? will i loose surround sound? I guess i need an amp/decoder as there is no way to channel the sound into the DVD player.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Hello Brioni

I'm sure some enterprising chap or chap'et could quite easily take a half decent loudspeaker chassis and attach it to a mains powered 'wireless receiver/amplifier' and produce a Wireless transmitter and take your Source signal and mangle it enough to get it out over a wireless connection to your receivers, though it would be a lot of work just to arrive at poor quality sound :)

Just to be clear each of the Wireless loudspeakers requires a mains power supply

Have you considered the Yamaha Digital Sound Projectors - see http://www.yamaha-uk.com/sound_projectors/

Best regards

Joe

3. jdT05

jdT05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do decide to go down this route then you'll definately want a sub as well.

The yam does sound a bit tinny without one.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    The mods ought to 'merge' these two threads :)

Joe