Can you claim on lost post if you haven't got proof of posting ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bosque, Feb 12, 2009.

1. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I returned a faulty DVD to playcom but about two weeks later they've said it hasn't arrived at their offices. Although they demanded I sent it by recorded delivery, I sent it standard class at £1.40 since from experience I know they only give you about £1.50 in postage costs (assuming it arrives) whereas recorded delivery in my neck of the woods is around £4 when posting a DVD. However, I've lost the receipt so can't prove I posted it. I would be very grateful if anyone knows if it's worth claiming from the Post Office without proof of postage ?

2. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I can't see how you could claim with out proof of postage?

Not sure why your standard class is £1.40 and a recorded DVD £4, that seems excessive for a DVD? Unless its a large box set.

Also if you are returning something that is faulty, and they short changed your recorded delivery, I would tell them and get the difference credited at their expense!

I can't see you getting a claim in with the post office, good luck.

3. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    They don't have to, but a few years back the royal mail lost my package. They gave me the benefit of the doubt and paid up, but stated next time I'd need proof of postage.

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    When i posted double disc Blu ray about a week or two ago it cost about £1.90 recorded. £4 sounds like special delivery.

5. simonf7

simonf7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Thats about right - as far as I remember from work adding "signed for" as they now call it adds about 70p to the normal postage cost.

Si

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,999
    Yep for future, recorded delivery for a DVD is between £1.50 and £2.00.

I suspected you were quoted for special delivery.

£1.40 sounds high unless it was heavy - boxset, but even so recorded delivery adds an extra 80p or so.

As for your current position. You can put in a claim and they will generally respond with a goodwill gesture of some stamps - I think something like 10x 1st class.

I can't imagine they will cover the loss of the DVD - nor should they have to in my opinion. Even with proof of posting I don't think that Royal Mail would be (nor should be) responsible for the value of the contents.

Oh, and in my experience, Play refund the actual Recorded Delivery, not just a £1.50 limit.

Cheers,

Nigel

7. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    While I accept that not having a receipt means I'm probably screwed as regards compensation from the Post Office, it seems a very odd comment that you feel customers must simply take a gamble on whether the postman decides to deliver the mail. So we should have no confidence in the Post Office :confused:

8. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    They should be liable for the cost of the package if it is lost as a lot of the time it would have been stolen from one of there sorting offices or just gone missing :rolleyes: like things obviously do. :eek:

In regard to posting issue from the op I would suggest Play have no obligation to refund you the money as you havn't followed the terms and conditions of their returns policy.

9. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,999
    But what do you expect the Post Office to do. Without a receipt you have no proof that the package even existed. Even with a receipt you have no proof\guarantee of the value of the package.

If I said to you

"I gave you a package to pass onto Play. Play say that haven't received it. You owe me £20 for the loss of the BluRay that was inside".

You would laugh in my face, and rightly so.

But what you are expecting of Royal Mail is little different.

Cheers,

Nigel

10. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    That must be the logic the thief used when he stole my package. The customer has paid for the package to be delivered but the postman decides to steal it instead of delivering it because he knows the customer has no way of proving the value of the package. Let's hope everyone doesn't think that way !

11. whiskyboozer

whiskyboozer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You could post a letter to play get proof of posting which is free and will cover the cost of your disc then claim using the proof you have.

Only to be done if you have genuinly lost something in the post!

12. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,999
    But maybe they did.

Perhaps someone at Play stole it. Or perhaps it simply got misplaced at Play.

The problem is that for every genuine person (like you) you are a multitude more dishonest people.

The problem with 'proof of postage' is that it is open to abuse - as whiskyboozer has pointed out.

Cheers,

Nigel

13. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    You can download from the Post Office website a Certificate Of Posting when you send an item of value or you want to have proof of postage. This is a receipt which is filled in with the details of the item posted and stamped by the post office as proof of posting. You do have to pay a fee of course for these.

Details here;

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400144&mediaId=67800726

Or you can get a free receipt at the post office counter by asking, the receipt is stamped by the post office and simply confirms you sent an item on that date. It does not though cover you for a claim against the post office. It can though be used to prove to the recipient that you did send the item to them.

14. themilkman23

themilkman23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Exactly what I was thinking as I read through the thread.

Everyone jumps on Royal Mail at the sight of the tiniest thing. There are three people involved in this: You, Royal Mail and Play. Any one of those three could be the dishonest one.

15. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Suspiciously you've left out a fourth candidate: My money's on the milkman.

16. themilkman23

themilkman23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Very good :smashin:

17. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,161
    I was under the impression that obtaining proof of postage means that if the item goes missing you have upto £32 insurance on that item

from the Royal Mail website appears to show this :

For lost or damaged items that have an intrinsic value, with evidence of posting with Royal Mail (such as a certificate of posting) and evidence of value (such as an invoice or receipt) customers will be entitled to a postage refund plus compensation for actual loss up to the value of the item, or 100 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step, whichever is the lowest;

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Bosque,

For what it's worth, I would say, that:

1) Next time, send any DVD/Blu-ray disc or item of worth by Recorded or Signed-For Delivery, and make sure you get some kind of receipt and Proof Of Postage certificate, so that you have some kind of fall-back if something like this happens in the future.

2) In this instance, without any kind of proof of a) what you posted, b) when you posted it, and c) who you posted it too, you're a bit stuck, I'm afraid. :( You may have to put this one down to a lost case scenario, and a learned lesson for future. :( :(

3) Unfortunately, without any evidence of where the item went missing from the minute you left the post office, you are stuck. You won't be able to claim from Play.com, nor from the Post Office itself, nor the Royal Mail, as there is no specific person who is liable - as you have no evidence of who lost the item, or where or when it was lost. For all you know, it may have accidentally got destroyed at some point, whilst in the Royal Mail's sorting offices. :eek:

As such, the best you can do is contact Royal Mail, see if they can investigate for you, but the best you will probably get is a simple "Sorry, but we can't help you, so here's some consolatory stamps, and an apology".

Sorry none of us can be more helpful to you. :(

Pooch