Can you change order? HELP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gadjet, Jul 16, 2002.

  1. Gadjet

    Active Member

    Aug 14, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Trophy Points:
    If you have read my previous thread I am waiting for the new Pioneer AX-10, it will not come for another 5 weeks at least, that will be a total of 9 weeks waiting.

    After all this time I think I made the wrong choice and I should buy the Denon A1-SR. From what I,ve read its better.

    The contract I have signed is pay in a year with a 10% deposit, after all this time waiting can I change the order or have I got to stick to it, or even better change and buy an amplifier without waiting from someone else. I dont think I will but hopefully if there is a way, some of you with "consumer" knowledge will be able to help me out.

    Much appreciated,
  2. MikeK


    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm not a lawyer, but I think it will depend on the dealer in question and what you agreed with them at the time.

    If he told you it would be 4-6 weeks, and it's still not turned up after 9 weeks, then you should be able to cancel without a problem.
    If he told you it would be 12 weeks for instance, then I'm not sure, legally, what the position would be. It's obviously a credit agreement, so it should be covered by the the credit laws - have a look on the various trading standards sites etc - these laws usually protect the consumer quite well, but they won't allow you to take the mickey (not that I'm in any way suggesting that's what you are doing here)

    Even if that's the case, I'd still phone/talk to the dealer and explain the situation - the worst he could do is say no.
    In that case, contact the credit company - you may well find that legally the contract you have is with them in any case, and not the dealer, who in this case may be simply acting as an agent on behalf of the credit company.

    The law can be very messy in these circumstances, and often retailers don't obey it anyway, either wilfully or as is often the case, because they don't really understand it all any better than you.
    A call to your local Trading Standards office, or Consumer Advice centre, should put you on the right track as to exactly what your rights are in this case.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice