1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you bi-amp 3805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bluesfan, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you biamp (not biwire!) the 3805. I have downloaded and read the manual but it makes no mention of this only that it can be used for another zone.

2. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It can be done but it's not as easy as with other makes and you're right it's not mentioned in the manual.

There was a post on here about 3 months ago with step by step instructions from Denon's tech support.
    However, I may be mistaken and it may be on avsforums in the US

Do a search on 3805 on both forums and you should hopefully find it.

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thanks I found it have included here for those interested. Obviously you just point zone 2 at the cd input.

I don't know where they get the bit it makes 240watts! Absoulute rubbish. You'd think they know better.

Bi-amping the Denon AVR-3805 for 240 Watts/channel in the Fronts

What? A $1200 receiver that gives you 240 watts per channel to the main speakers in a bi-amped configuration while still allowing 5.1 surround? Absolutely. Read on... Using unused “Surround Back” amps to bi-amp the main speakers was mentioned by Gene DellaSala in his review of the Denon AVR-5803 receiver and the same procedure holds true for the AVR-3805. Why let those unused surround back amplifiers go to waste if you are not utilizing either them or Zone 2 speakers? Here is the procedure to successfully bi-amp the Denon AVR-3805 and deliver additional power to your main speakers:

Step #1: Connect a pair of analog RCA cables from the preamp outs of the "Front" channels to an unused input of the AVR-3805 (In my case, I chose the CD inputs).

Step #2: Select the chosen input as the source for Multi Zone 2.

Step #3: In the POWER AMP ASSIGN menu (5-1), select “Zone 2".

Step #4: Using the internal test tones of the AVR-5803, position the SPL meter (slow response, C-weighted) at the listening position and increase the master volume control until each speaker reads about 75dB.

Step #5: Disconnect the speaker level connections from the "Front" channels at the AVR-3805 and reconnect them to the appropriate "Multi Zone 2" speaker level connections.

Step #6: Repeat Step#4 while varying the "Multi Zone 2" volume level. I found nearly unity gain correlation between the "Front" channel and "Multi Zone 2" amplifiers to be at the "Multi Zone 2" volume level setting of +2dB. Coincidentlally, there is apparently a similar preamp gain structure between the AVR-5803 and the Denon AVR-3805 as they both reached near unity with the Zone 2 volume at this position.

Notes: It would have been nice if the channel trim for the Zone 2 level control had +/-0.5dB precision as did all of the other channel trims of this receiver. During this configuration I also wondered what would happen if the CD input were accidentally selected by mistake, causing the main channel preamp outputs to be suddenly routed to themselves (feedback). Not to worry, Zone 2 does not allow the same source to be sent simultaneously to the main speaker outputs so feedback is impossible – at least with regards to this configuration method.

Be sure to remove the jumpers on the back of the main speakers and then connect a set of wires from the "Front" channels of the receiver to the highs section of each of your front speakers and a set of wires from the "Multi Zone 2" channels of the receiver to the lows of your front speakers. Voila! You now paid only $1200 for a receiver that gives you 240 watts per channel to your main speakers where you need it the most.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I wonder if it would be safe to try it with other recievers :devil::D

5. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One benefit of this is that you can push bass or treble according too taste.

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    sorry to dig up an thread from the past, however is there any way u can damage ur speakers doing this? ie. like doing an auto setup after u done the bi-amping etc?

i guess in bi-amp such an product would make the bass /overal sound better? somethign like my Kef Q7's would like?

many thanks

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all i read this methode before regarding the 3805 but it states disconect the front speaker level conections , unsure what they mean by that ,are they refering to the speaker terminal bridging links.

thank you

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If you run any system passively bi-amped then you MUST disconnect the links on the speakers that connect the treble and bass units together. Otherwise the power amp driving say the treble looks directly at the output of another driving the bass and this can cause instability, smoke and a big repair bill!

The Arcam AVR250 and 300 are designed to support passive bi-amping in a 5.1 system by redirecting channels 6 and 7 to the front L and R speakers. This is done in the receiver's set up menu. On the 300, if you have a 7.1 system, then you can use a gain matched external power amp such as an Arcam P90.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yeah, i got my links always out on the front speakers anyway, and i guess u also forgot to say u need bi-wire cable to bi-wire.

so what do u get out of bi-amping then? plus the 3805 doesnt support bi-amping by standard, would there be any way u could damage it?

many thanks

10. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    anyone know? many thanks

11. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your Q7's should love the bi-amping - even the wife noticed the difference :eek: when I bi-amped my Q7s (using Pioneer D2011).

12. Lensman

Lensman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if this 'trick' will work with the AVC-A11SR too? If so I may have to sacrifice my 6.1 setup for the greater good :p

13. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    should work with other denon as long as u can do mutli-zone and feed the pre-amp front into another input.

thanks for the replies already, just wondering doing so is there anyway you can damage the reciever doing this? in any way

14. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    oh, one thing now ive done it. i hear an very small humm noise from all of the speakers, is this an problem?