1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you answer a quick question about a J SIMS RGB-SVIDEO convertor?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark P, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pretty simple really, but i'm about to order one and can anybody please confirm this is correct:

1) i take a scart lead from sky digibox - john sims rgb-svideo box

2) from the john sims box i then take a svideo-svideo cable into my ae100 projector

thanks mark

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as the scart is wired for an RGB signal and your digibox set to RGB, you will be fine.

Your wiring is correct.

3. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick reply jim.

i was a bit worried today because i bought a 10m svideo-svideo lead to go from the j sims box, but when i looked at a picture of the box i could not see the svideo output....just 3 scart connectors, i take it the s-video output is round the back somewhere?

thanks again

4. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Mark,

The text says the s-video signal is output via the scart socket, not via an s-video 4 pin mini DIN.

But they also have an adapter that will allow you to plug a s-video cable into that. £3 in the cables section, right at the bottom.

5. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just seen that hugh, many thanks to confirm what i thought. i guess i can stump up another £3.

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    MarkP: please report your findings in terms of a comparison between the composite feed from Sky and then using the converter. I would be interested in hearing the results.

7. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark,

It will be great to here your comment on how it has worked on your system. On Monday I am sending my RGB/Component converter back to Keenes who have kindly agreed to exchange to RGB/s-video , same as you. Hopefully I will get a better picture from sky to pj.
    I will tell you and cyberheater my view.
    As from previuos threads I have sent before I am desperately tryiny to get best picture possible from sky especially as football will soon be here.

Take care Phill

PS if you read this messiah hi, yes I am still trying all versions to get a good picture.

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Phill

Good to hear of your perseverence. I can't help thinking you may be flogging a dead horse though due to the low bit rate on Sky which means you can't improve what isn't there. Good luck.

9. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exactly my thoughts.

when it arrives i will let yourself and cyberheater what i think of it reguards to picture quality, although being somewhat of a projector newbie don't expect anything too technical.

:)

10. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just to reassure everyone the Sky > John Sim/RGB-Svideo > AE100 path gives **stunning**results. I have a 6ft picture and all I can say is DON'T go down the composite route. PAL gribbling looks horrible when it's that big. With the version 2 convertor you also have RGB passthrough so can continue to send the best quality to your TV too! BTW I haven't seen the Keene convertor so I can't comment.

Mr Cheese

11. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mesiah,

You are right I wont get a great picture from sky but all I,m trying to do is find a connection that will show the best picture. As from being crystal clear from component which shows just all the problems of the sky picture with the clarity of component connection, and from composite which is just a blur and messy.
    So I,m trying to find the happy medium that will show the best picture acheivable but not show all the sky problems too much eg blurr with fast movement
    Hard to explain, hope you see what I mean.
    I wish mine would turn out to be clear as Mr Cheese, I know it wont but trying all different connecters will give me the best available.

Take care evreybody,

PS I done what Ive tried not to do and seen and READ a part on a new HT1000>16:9 with a better picture.Where is AVs to make it worse and read even more about it?

Phill