Can you add a router to a powerline home plug for wifi?

snowkit

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking of extending my coverage of wifi by using a powerline home plug by placing that in one of the mains sockets in my house, then connecting the ethernet cable from this into a wireless router so I could use it as an extender/repeater to carry the wifi signal to wifi connected devices in a room in my house which currently can't get any internet, is this possible?

Works perfectly in my setup - go for it!

Works perfectly in my setup - go for it!

I would need a new router, what would be a good affordable 802.11n wireless router that would work connected to a power line home plug? Would the router need to be configured first by connecting it to a PC? Then I can remove it from the PC and connect it to the home plug? Will the router need to be plugged into the mains for power?

I would need a new router, what would be a good affordable 802.11n wireless router that would work connected to a power line home plug? Would the router need to be configured first by connecting it to a PC? Then I can remove it from the PC and connect it to the home plug? Will the router need to be plugged into the mains for power?

Any router will work as far as I'm aware. My router is simply plugged into a regular 3 pin wall socket and the I run a Cat5 cable from the router to the homeplug which is also connected to a regular 3 pin wall socket.

Set up of the router is then done in the normal way and either left permanently connected to your PC / Mac using another Cat5 cable or in my case wirelessly.

be sure to turn off DHCP on the router that you are using as an extender.

Phil @ Custom Cable

Any router will work as far as I'm aware. My router is simply plugged into a regular 3 pin wall socket and the I run a Cat5 cable from the router to the homeplug which is also connected to a regular 3 pin wall socket.

Set up of the router is then done in the normal way and either left permanently connected to your PC / Mac using another Cat5 cable or in my case wirelessly.

Many thanks for the reply

I have a BT router, but also an old Netgear Rangemax DG834PN it's not 802.11n but is 10x faster than 802.11g as it uses Smart MIMO multi in/multi out technology to extend wireless range. I was thinking, do you know if this is possible. I was thinking if I didn't buy another powerline homeplug and just plug this Netgear router to a power socket. Would it then just be able carry the current wifi signal from my BT router and extend it to the part of my house where I can't get wifi?

Many thanks for the reply

I have a BT router, but also an old Netgear Rangemax DG834PN it's not 802.11n but is 10x faster than 802.11g as it uses Smart MIMO multi in/multi out technology to extend wireless range. I was thinking, do you know if this is possible. I was thinking if I didn't buy another powerline homeplug and just plug this Netgear router to a power socket. Would it then just be able carry the current wifi signal from my BT router and extend it to the part of my house where I can't get wifi?

Easiest way is to give it a try! I tried both a repeater and an additional wireless router but found that the wifi signal was not great (even though it got to the area that I wanted it) I also found out that my speed went down considerably from approx 13mb to around 4mb.

I have a BT Business hub 2700HGV router connected to my ADSL line. I have another router which is the Netgear DG834PN. This Netgear router cannot do WDS for wireless distribution system. So it's not possible to use it as a wireless repeater or wireless access point. But what about if I can use it in bridge mode. I think I read somewhere that you can set this up through some settings. Then it will act as a wireless bridge?

I can use it as a wireless repeater only if I connect via ethernet cable to my other router which is connected to the ADSL line or via a power line home plug. But I would really like to make the connection wireless if possible. Do you know how it can be done. The other thing is I have the latest firmware.

Could anyone also tell me whether the BT business hub can do WDS? I also have an old BT voyager 2100 which I know supports WDS. It's just I don't believe the signal is as strong as the Netgear router.

Many thanks in advance

Is it also possible to turn the wii into a wireless access point, I ask as it does have wifi built in?

Last edited:
AFAIK the Netgear DG835's can only work as an extender as you've said they do - plug an Ethernet cable in and turn DHCP off.

I don't think they can latch on to another WiFi connection and extend the range.

I have my router wired in to a homeplug and then a 5 port switch on the other homeplug. No configuration at all.

I have my router wired in to a homeplug and then a 5 port switch on the other homeplug. No configuration at all.

Many thanks for your reply

I also have my 54mbps router wired to a homeplug as my 1st wifi access point and then a pre n 108mbps router on the other homeplug as my 2nd wifi access point.

I am using the wifi from this 2nd wifi access point to connect to wifi enabled devices at 54mbps. What I am trying to do now is to bridge another router with this wifi. How can I do so?

I was thinking if I want to use another router which is 802.11n 300mbps, will I not be able to use it's networking speed of 300mbps as my main router connected to my ADSL line is only 54mbps? So will this 802.11n 300mbps router only work in 802.11g 54mbps mode? What about in 108mbps mode? As the 2nd wifi access point is using a pre n router at 108mbps, or is it once again because the router connected to the ADSL line is only 54mbps so all connections in the house will be limited to 54mbps even though some routers offer 300mbps?

Many thanks in advance

Hello

I know is an old thread, but I am trying to do the same thing. MY extender router is works fit, with a hard connection to the main router, but once I move to the home plug it cannot obtain an IP address?

Any ideas?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom