Can you actually play DVDs in 720p and 1080i?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scotty Boy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right, I currently have my DVD player into my new High Definition Plasma through a set of component leads, and I would assume i'm getting 480p.

Now, if I was to invest in the Denon 2910, and a DVI board for my Plasma, am I going to see much of an improvement?

Will I be watching my Films, therefor, in 720p and 1080i?

As I have been told that they won't be 720p and 1080, because the discs aren't high definition discs, and you can't buy them. So does it mimic 720 and 1080, or not?

I'm trying to work out whether i'm going to actually get 720 and 1080i, by investing in a DVI Board and DVD player. I'm willing to splash out if it's going to make a difference!

Cheers,
    Scott

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's all just scaling.

Your DVDs are 720x480 for NTSC or 720x576 for PAL. If you have a Panny Hi-Def screen then it's resolution is 1366x768 (for 50") 1024x768 (for 42") standard Def Panny's are 852x480.

Obviously 720P (1280x720) & 1080i (1920x1080) are not a match for the resolutions for these screens anyway, so there is going to be scaling by the panels.

Your DVD ouputs 480 or 576 & the screen scales it to fix it's pixel count. If you buy a Denon & set it to output 720 or 1080 the screen is still going to have to sacle it to fit your screen only it will be scaling it down instead of up.
    Perceived wisdom is that generally it's easier for screens to make a good fist at downscaling rather than up scaling.

By upscaling you are not getting more information in the picture (you can't get more information than was on the disc to start with & it's all standard def). What you have to find is what has the best deinterlacing & scaling. That is going to vary from player to player & from screen to screen.

Most plasmas are computer reolutions not video, so some will use HTPCs to output video at the native resolutions of the display.

Personally I use SDI out from my DVD player to an external video processor for deinterlacing & scaling to 720p and I then let the screen downscale it to it's native resolution. That's what works best for me.

Oh and DVI in isn't ALWAYS better than analogue in. The only way you will know for sure is to try it & see the results for yourself before committing to purchase.

3. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Excellent. Thanks for those words and filling me in. :)

With regards to DVI, i'm pretty sure the Denon 2910 will only do 720p and 1080i (scaled down) over DVI, am I correct?