Can xbox output 5.1 on hdmi AND optical?

tommy060289

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I currently have my xbox hooked up to my TV via HDMI and an optical coming out to attach to some turtle beach 5.1 headphones.

However, I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-LX55 cinema amp and intend to send the 5.1 over the HDMI to the amp, but id like to keep my headphones working so if I left the optical connection between the xbox and headphones would it still function as 5.1 on both or is there likely to be a conflict? my other option is to run HDMI AND Optical to the amp and then another optical from the optical out to the headphones but this means adding more cables:(

any advice?

Cheers,

Tom

I only thought 5.1 was provided through optical, u sure can output wi just hdmi?? Thought tht wa reason they sell audio adapter

I only thought 5.1 was provided through optical, u sure can output wi just hdmi?? Thought tht wa reason they sell audio adapter
It's always done both. The adapter is available in case your receiver can't do 5.1 via HDMI and you need to use optical, or if you want to use optical for some other reason (headphones, for example).

Ah rite nice 1 didnt knw tht, ive always used optical because sure i had read some place it wa only via optical or thinkin about it could it be sky hd tht only does via optical?? Or mayb im just goin crazy lol

haha, my amp can distribute to two screens to but id struggle to get two 46"s in my room lol

thanks for your help people:)

I have one of the first xboxs with HDMI, I thought it only output 5.1 via optical, is this not the case then? Does it do it via HDMI, I can't test it at the moment as my amp is broken on the HDMI side.

maverick177uk said:
I have one of the first xboxs with HDMI, I thought it only output 5.1 via optical, is this not the case then? Does it do it via HDMI, I can't test it at the moment as my amp is broken on the HDMI side.

All 360s with HDMI can do DD5.1 through both the optical and HDMI outputs, you just need to have a compatible receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom