Can widescreen movies cause screenburn?

janmars

Standard Member
Reaction score
Was just looking through a HDTV manual and it mentioned that the borders from widescreen movies can cause screenburn.

Is this actually correct? If so - is there anyway around it?

Thanks...

Well screenburn is more of an issue for Plasma when compared to LCD/DLP.

Even then a lot of movies are broadcast in 16:9 which matches a widescreen TV perfectly, the 2:35 ratio movies will leave two black bars but then only for the duration of the movie and if you must then most TV's will allow you to manipulate the image to fill the screen.
Not to forget that a HD broadcast may be an upscaled SD program which was made in 4:3 so you may get an image with black pillar boxes if the broadcaster doesn't add some sort of graphic to fill the space.

In real terms I don't think you have anything really to worry about:)

Okay - thanks a lot for the reply.

Also - the way I always understood it, it is bright i.e. white colors that cause screenburn rather than dark one (black bars).

Had a 32 inch w/s CRT set for about ten years. During which time most viewing has 9consequentky) been on 4:3. Outside bars on left hand and right hand side of screen now show different colours etc than the '4x3 central zone'.
CRTs do fade and wither - and it is very noticable now.
I often point it out out to SWBO in the hope that she will 'really' notice it and get teed off with telly. et voila, Hello 67 inches of Sammy DLP goodness.

At least thats the plan - wonder if I need to change my medication...

jnms said:
...the way I always understood it, it is bright i.e. white colors that cause screenburn rather than dark one (black bars).
First - we're talking only about phosphor-based technology here - that's CRT and Plasma ONLY. Other technologies are not affected.

Screen burn occurs all the time. As the phosphors are used (illuminated) they degrade or "age", becoming gradually dimmer over time. The more they are used (i.e. the brighter, and for longer) the greater the ageing process and dimming.

Where it becomes an issue is where it occurs unevenly across the screen i.e. where one part is aged more rapidly than another (due to being brighter and/or for longer). The most commonly cited cause is on-screen logos which are often of fixed position and white. But in the case of prolonged viewing of letterboxed material, the illuminated part of the screen (the film, if you like) will age more quickly than the unilluminated part (black bars). So you CAN in extreme cases get uneven ageing.

aging yes, but not true screen burn since black bars mean pixels are off, and the rest is constantly moving anyway so no retention = no screenburn...unless you have your telly on whole day every day on a single channel...I believe most good stations rotate or displace the logo frequently to avoid this...

Kalos - I'm sorry but you are missing the point. Whilst it may take longer with a moving image, constant viewing of (say) 2.35:1 letterboxed movies will, in time, "burn" the middle of the screen. Because it is lit brighter for longer it will dim. Ageing/dimming/burning are all exactly the same thing. And not directly related to logos or other white objects. They are simply the most common cause. Please re-read my post. It is 100% accurate.

a truly screenburned object is far more visible than any black bar vs. aged pixel situation...I doubt that prolonged viewing of 2.35:1 content will bring about visible visual difference between the black bar part and the moving part...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom