Question Can we get subtitles via our TV's satellite tuner?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Grumpyrocker, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    We've got an LG LA690V in the lounge and it has Freeview and satellite tuners. However the satellite input isn't Freesat.

Recently we began using the satellite input so we could get a few HD channels not possible in our area via Freeview - such as BBC Four HD.

Another show we enjoy is Hinterland (Y Gwyll) on S4C. Normally we just catch it on iPlayer with subtitles. But this evening we put S4C on via the satellite input.

However none of the text/subtitles services work on the satellite channels. Is this a byproduct of the basic satellite functionality of this TV - not having the Freesat EPG? Or is there something I can do to make sure the text, Red Button and subtitles services work on the channels we watch via satellite?

We do have a Freesat box but stopped using it because it crashed so much. We got the usual text services and subtitles via that. But now we are just going straight into the non-Freesat TV none of these work.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    Are you sure the TV can't do Freesat?
    If it can't then you won't get those extras.

3. Nathan Cooke

Nathan Cooke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    You won't get "RED Button" services on generic free to air equipment. I would expect subtitles however. If not it must be a function of the TV.

4. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yup definitely not freesat. I'm just surprised that subtitles won't work.

5. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Subtitles are part of the DVB broadcast spec and nothing to do with Freesat...

it would be surprising if they are not supported, you may well have two subtitles options, one for DVB and one for good old analogue text.

6. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Sky SD receivers use teletext p888 subtitles which most receivers support... Although it is possible some TVs now do not fit any analogue bits including teletext decoders? Ask LG?

BBC transmit DVB subtitles and teletext subs for compatibility with Sky boxes on all SD channels including S4C SD.

On the HD variants it is DVB subs only. S4C HD often carries two subtitle streams and dual language sound so you can listen in either English or Welsh with subtitles in either language as well.

You may need to read the manual or ask LG how to access these via a button on the remote control? or other on screen menu selection method.

Freeview transmissions are all using DVB So I would advise you check out how to display those on your TV too!

7. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I know how to access text and subtitles on Freeview. It's the satellite variety I can't seem to get working.

The TV offers a "service not available" message on all satellite channels when attempting to use subtitles.

Perhaps it's something to do with the relatively spartan satellite support on this TV - no Freeview EPG etc.

8. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Any DVB compliant device should be able to access the ETSI-standard DVB subtitles carried in the DVB-S and/or DVB-S2 data streams. Have you tried a range of satellite channels SD and HD to see if they are all the same?

There might be some 'option' within the menu system that need enabling? {Many TVs have options that only become available when the appropriate source is selected, as opposed to a global 'all sources' option.}

Other than that, I really recommend a chat with LG Customer Support to see if there is something simple you're missing... or get confirmation the TV does not support subtitles on its satellite tuner.

LG Support Search Results | LG U.K. suggests there has been a very recent firmware update to the TV?

9. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Er.... I'm a twit.

Have solved the problem now. The Text Services button might not work. But going into the quick menu allowed me to enabled subtitles.

Sorry for wasting your time. o_O

Meanwhile thanks for the heads-up about the firmware update. The download on the LG site seems to be corrupted. My PC can't open the archive. I think the date on the site might be wrong anyway, I think it's from earlier this year.

10. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Glad you found the solution - and for sharing it to help others.

On the firmware thing... I know nothing. :rotfl:

11. Nathan Cooke

Nathan Cooke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    No such thing as analogue text. All teletext is digital. What you are referring to is 'teletext' or 'world service text'.

What we get on Freeview and Freesat, the BBC call Red Button, is MHEG. In Europe only the UK and Ireland use MHEG.

12. HD sceptic

HD sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Don't try to open the files on your computer. Connect your smart tv to the internet go into the settings menu and select update from there.

13. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    On a Welsh language channel the english subtitles are confusingly displayed by choosing the Welsh option