1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we get Hi Definition TV's in the UK? such as the...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Raze, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can we get Hi Def (HDTV) sets in the UK? Don't need it to 'recieve' american digital TV but simply because I've heard they are the best for DVD playback and Video game systems such as the Xbox.

Here are what seems to be the 'best' american models:

The sony KV34XBR910 34" widescreen ( http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_20082.htm )

and the 4:3 version http://www.onecall.com/PID_20080.htm

How can we tell if UK models can handle resolutions of 1080i etc?

Are we gettin a bad deal here?

Also what do you guys think of the Toshiba 36" Picture Frame? ( www.pictureframe2.net )

cheers

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you're after CRT sets, JVC's H32D25 and HVxxP37 & HV36P38 sets are the only ones currently available in the UK that I'm aware of that can take 1080i.

Other than that, you're looking at high resolution plasma and LCD panels (and probably at least twice the price).

There are a number of threads here on the 36" Toshiba Picture Frame sets, but it's not a Hi-Def set at the end of the day, so if you're after that, look elsewhere.

3. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know this is a stupid question, but if say the TOSHIBA PF doesn't support 1080i and I connected an xbox with a game that can output a 1080 output - what would happen? Would it simply not display?

Also as the JVCs support the res of 1080, would it actually make a visible difference?

Basically would it be better to get the 36" JVC instead of teh 36" Toshiba - even though the JVC supports the higher res, could the Toshiba still have better picture quality (for DVDs and xbox?)

Does that make sense?
    cheers

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    image quality has very little to do with paper specs so it is possible that the TOSH would have a better real PQ than the JVC or the JVC might look better than the Tosh because it is a better tube rather than higher specced. PD30 pannasonics use the Quintrix SR (super reolution) tube that is used in AUS and US Hi-Def sets but without the Hi-DEF processing. Of course the larger the visible size of a display the more important this becomes ie 50" RPTV's PJ's etc

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Basically yes - the set wouldn't know what to do with the signal being sent to it

Most definitely if you feed it 1080i material. Currently though, you'd either have to import a D-Theatre VCR and movies from the US, or get and STB or HTPC capable of receiving the HD satelite broadcasts from Euro1080.

I think (not too sure) the set uses scaling technology to uprate lower resolution sources, something similar to the processing performed by Pixel Plus, Acuity et al.

With such technology, the sets tend to be very fussy about being fed a good quality input source to begin with.

If you've no intention of getting a Hi-Def source then the Toshiba may be the best way to go for you - from what I've read in other threads, the performance of the JVC is only so-so on RGB input sources, but reputedly very, very good if fed a component input which most decent DVD players have. You can also get a component cable for the Xbox, and chipped (or imported US) Xbox's can be set to output 480p and 1080i (although the games need to support this)

At the end of the day, the only reccommedation I will make is to try and demo the sets (if possible side by side).

6. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the help!

To add..

The TV will be connected to a progressive scan DVD and a chipped Xbox via component leads. If possible the Xbox may be used to play DVD Movies via a progressive scan 'crack' - which I assume will mean it will be like a progressive scan DVD player (!?).

Basically I'd likea TV set that has the best PQ for the above two (DVD and Xbox) and connected via the above methods - I am not too fussed about normal TV/satalite PQ as I rarely have time to watch those.

Based on that, in your opinion, would the JVC be the best bet?

Thanks once again for your help!

btw Hornydragon, can you give me more info about your shop? (it got a website?) is it yours? or do you just work there? can you do price matches or special deals for people you've met from here?! :)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PD30 or JVC mate as long as it has component.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wouldn't bother using the X-box as a DVD player if you've already got a prog scan capable DVD player - chances are the console's playback will be a bit disappointing compared to a dedicated player.

9. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi Cerebros - I haven't got a progressive scan dvd player at the mo, but thought if the xbox's progressive scan 'hack' made it just like a progressive scan dvd player, i may not need to buy a seperate dedicated progressive scan dvd player.

what do you think?

also based on the info in my previous post, do you think the JVC i sthe best bet for my needs?

Thanks for your help once again.