Can we expect further price drops?

Lobo

Established Member
Reaction score
With the Screenplay 7205 dropping by £1500 to £3500, do you think we can expect further price drops from the likes of Optoma, Sim2 and other manufacturers on their HD2+ products?

I think we will see continuing drops in prices as LCD catches up and DLP technology improves, making the older technologies cheaper. This seems to be happening as we speak - the IF 7205 and Optoma H77 both have newer DC3 models coming out in the very near future (7210 and h79 (or h77a)), and the cost of the current models has been reduced to reflect this, despite them being still vey new. The H77 will still be produced alongside the H79 I believe, with something like a £500 price difference.

The NEC HT1000 cost almost £3500 2 years ago - the same price as the H77 (RRP)was last year, and the costs of newer machines is dropping all the time.

There must also be the prospect of dynamic iris such as that featured in the Sony HS50 being integrated into DLP products to push the dynamic CR into CRT territory, plus 3 chip DLP must start to become cheaper too.

As always, it's a question of when to jump in and buy something, or carry on waiting for the 'next best thing', because it's almost certain that 6 months down the line the price of the pj will be less, or a better machine will have come onto the market at the same price (or less).

Gary.

We will see many projectors dropping in price this year I think..

Many manufactors will sell both (HD2) DC2 DMD and DC3 DMD side by side and then they have to lower the DC2 projectors.

I did get my projectiondesign Model One MK111 upgraded with a DC3 DMD for a few weeks ago and for this model it were worth the extra cost..

But I dont think things will slow down this year.. we got 1080 DMD just around the corner and I guess that they will get the prices on 1280*720 DMDs drop even more..

Daniel

The Optoma H77 and H79 are going to be sold side by side if the current brochure is anything to go by - they're both listed on there together, so it'll be interesting to see how much the H77 price will drop, and how much the H79 will retail for.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom