CAN WE ASSUME HD is now glorified SD /

gbmitie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am watching chelsea game on sky hd on a pioneer LX5090 but to me the quality is no better than upscaled sd, is this the price we pay for uhd hype?

anyone know the bit rate now used? to be charged extra for this is hard to stomach.

I didnt check the bitrate, but Sky movie channels SD is so blocky now it is just about good enough to watch on a tablet and phone.

They want to make money, they dont make money if nobody keeps spending more, so they try their best to force you to keep spending more, its business, you either have to go along like a sheep or you look for alternatives.

I still think HD looks great,i was given a uhd demo and too be honest I wasnt that blown away with it...its not the step up that going from sd to hd was...give it a couple of years and I think we will maybe see a need to upgrade.

On satellite, Sky Sports 1 is broadcast in MHEG 4 (H264) at an average bit rate of 15.7Mbps.

I watched the game on the YouView platform over BT fibre which is also encoded in H264 at a constant bit rate of 10Mbps and the picture looked fine.

Thanks all, I am not convinced BT are not fiddling with HD bit rates. The man city game was much better tonight. I bet its done to make UHD look better but we knows what happens eventually.

Yesterday, you were complaining about watching Chelsea on the SKY HD SAT platform? The City slaughter dealt out tonight was on BT Sport. Please clarify what you are actually complaining about. Is it SKY, or BT, or both? And on what platform?

If anything the UHD camera's footage mixed into HD coverage by both BT and Sky have vastly improved the picture quality in HD. That said apart from Sky sports HD and BT sport UHD, BT youview IPTV multicast still sucks, but better than SD but not full quality HD.

If anything the UHD camera's footage mixed into HD coverage by both BT and Sky have vastly improved the picture quality in HD.
The OB Trucks broadcasts of both are now unilateral, with the 4K feeds now being downscaled to HD for the HD channels, Sort of the opposite effect of a 4K TV taking a HD feed from a box and upscaling it, which also looks superb. And both use the same Sony UHD 4300 cameras for their live broadcasts.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom