Can Virgin use the coaxial

MikeyFHughes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all ,

I have a standard aerial connection running in 3 of my rooms (hidden behind my in the walls) I don't really use it). I have Virgin coming out “am” tomorrow to hopefully install a second STB. Now I have no intention of letting them drag that nasty white cable over my house. So my question they Virgin use the coaxial cable running in my walls?

Mike

Last edited:
Depends what co-ax you have installed. If it's air filled then no, if it's foam filled then yes should be fine.

]I have no idea how it’s set up –it came with the house and was installed with the build! However knowing my luck it will not be the correct wire needed.

Thanks, Mike

It won't be the correct stuf we use foam fill 50ohms coax not the more comonly available 75ohm ask them to leave you soem and run it yourself?

Hi all thanks for the post's.

He installed the STB box with no issues, he was in my house for about 20 mins.

He plugged a continuity and polarity tester into my bedroom aerial socket then found and isolated that aerial cable from its splitter (i have 3 aerial points in my house) and then he installed that aerial cable to a new 3 way virgin splitter. So I have my Virgin line into the house from the street this is going to my BB, V+ and now STB and there is room for more, apparently!

And it's all working well and yes no cables showing to boot! I just need to buy a nice we shelf to hold my new STB.

Mike

Last edited:
It won't be the correct stuf we use foam fill 50ohms coax not the more comonly available 75ohm ask them to leave you soem and run it yourself?

Virginmedia actually use 75 Ohm Foam filled, 50 Ohm is really not suitable for video use.

Last edited:
Indeed, 50 ohms is the norm for RF communications equipment, 75 ohms for video.

Last edited:
Edited for correctness :thumbsup:

Thanks essjay if you do actually work for VM then fine please tell us. However I suspect there are others both on this forum and other forums who pretend or infer they work for VM or their subcontractors but IMHO dont actually fit the ticket!

I am a Virgin media service engineer of 9 years and work for them not subcontracted:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom