Can USA NTSC camcorder export from Japanese NTSC MiniDV tape?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by ricktherazor, Sep 12, 2007.

1. ricktherazor

ricktherazor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can a USA NTSC camcorder export from Japanese NTSC MiniDV tape?

I have tapes recorded on a Japanese camcorder and am looking to buy a camcorder to play them on in order to export to PC. USA versions are easier to get hold of on EBay.

I know there is a version of NTSC called NTSC-J used in Japan, but I believe the diference is just a slight brightness difference.

Please don't answer unless you are sure!

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Well as I've not done that myself I can't be 100% sure, but it should work fine for reasons I'll explain, and I'm 99.9% sure it will work.

Strictly speaking the terms NTSC and PAL refer to analogue broadcast video. In the analogue world there are several variants of both NTSC and PAL (we use PAL-I in the UK). The variations are small (the only difference with NTSC-J is the black level), but most importantly the differences between NTSC variants only applies to analogue broadcast.

In terms of DV, there is only one NTSC format - the variations don't factor into it. A Japanese camcorder will be 720x480, 29.97 fps, just like a US one. It will work.