1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can u place a power amp on its side?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by allygash, May 7, 2005.

1. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can u place a power amp on its side instead of its usual flat orientation? If I can place it on its side it will get more ventilation than the normal flat position. Any advice please..

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's certainly possible although I would recommend against it for two reasons:
    * Ventilation as you mention.
    * Integrity - a good power amp will have big, heavy heatsinks and transformers in which almost certainly rely on downward gravity to some extent to keep them in place.

3. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what amp you're talking about. You may want to tell us what amp you want to place on it's side.

You may also want to call the manufactor and ask them if it's okay to do. The design of the amp will determine whether you can do it, or not.

4. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most amps are ok on their side. I don’t know about tub amps. I don’t think gravity is an issue because if it were nothing would survive shipping and handling. As was mentioned, heat coming off the sinks and being trapped in the enclosure is the big concern. The other concern is what can get out of the case if things go very wrong.

Fwiw, the best thing you can do to increase removal of heat from the case it to have holes on the bottom of the case for cool air to rise up thru. The problem with holes on the bottom is getting the amp past safety certification standards like CSA, Apex, TUV and Underwriters Laboratory (UL). The thinking is if something goes wrong and a fire breaks out inside the amp, you do not want hot, drippy, flaming residue falling out and starting the room burning. If you do have holes on the bottom of a case, they will likely be tiny holes and definitely not below anything that drips when it burns.

Btw, that’s also why there are no holes on the bottom of a computer case. All those printed circuit boards inside will drip flaming residue when they burn.

5. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for info guys....