Can TV Amplifiers be effected by temparature?

WAnd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone know if TV Amplifiers be effected by temparature?

I think my mast top amplifier is failing to amplify channel 22 (MUX 2 from crystal palace) during cold weather (<8C or so)

During the recent snow there was almost no signal at all on Channel 22 and a very noisy signal on analog channel 23 (BBC1)
Now the temparature has gone up again Im getting a signal during the day, which gets worse in the evening and looks to disappear entirely overnight!

All other MUXs seem fine but MUX 2 has always been bad even though MUX A has the same "Low" rating on Welcome page | ukfree.tv - independent digital TV + switchover advice, since 2002. So it could be the amp also isnt very good at amplifying the lower channels.

Any thoughts? Is it worth getting a differant mast top amp?

Anything electronic can be affected by temperature. During my engineer years I saw many temperature related faults.

As it's a masthead amplifier and therefore exposed to the elements, you also have moisture and humidity to contend with. Either of those can cause intermittent problems.

Another fault. If it's line powered, make sure all is well with the PSU.

A check and/or replacement would appear to be the way to go.

Actually Id forgotten about a fault I had with the power supply.

The Amp is line powered and at one point on Sunday (it was raining) the AMP stopped working entirely. The TV sudenly lost analog signal.

On checking the power light on the PSU was out. It came back on immediately when I unplugged the cable to the amp/aerial and went off again when I plugged back in. As I got ready to investigate the PSU/AMP started woring again!

So either faulty PSU or a short in the AMP I guess? But the PSU must be working or Id get no picture on all the other MUXs as well I think.

Thanks for the confirmation that my theory isnt entirely mad :smashin:

Think I might replace both just in case :)

I'm suspect a damp problem.... if it's wet enough it could short the psu out and the psu would cut out ? Damp would also cause unpredictable frequency attenuation effects... Water can easily get into the cables, too.

Heating and cooling can cause expansion/contraction of connections and you may find something has just worked loose?

If it is easy to get to the aerial and amplifier then a look-see investigation is step 1. If it is difficult then having replacement amp, psu and cable to hand would be advisable.

Now have a new PSU, new mast top amp and new cable.

Everything is exactly the same as it was. i.e. currently no Mux 2, some ghosting on BBC1 analog.

Could having some slightly bent elements on the ariel cause such issues? The horizontal pieces (sort of >< shaped actually) are very thin and so have been bent over time.

Everything is exactly the same as it was. i.e. currently no Mux 2, some ghosting on BBC1 analogue.

Has it ever been OK?

If it's changed over time, that could be due to new buildings or trees growing into line of sight.

When you had the new kit fitted, did you ask about local reception? Did the guy recommend any particular type of aerial for any reason?

Incidentally, have you asked the fitter to come back and test the installation?

It was OK before christmas. noticed I wasnt getting mux2 about 2nd week in january.

The aerial was fitted about 4 years ago. The Mast top amp was my addition about 1 year ago to provide a feed to another TV. Its never been perfect, or even close, but has always been usable until this year.

Seem to remember the fitter reccommened putting the aerial somewhere else (dont know where as its on the house side nearest to Crystal palace). I already had the aerial and he did say something about it but I cant remember what! Its so long ago I cant remember who fitted it. Sounds like Im going to have to call someone out though :(

The frequencies you are having the most trouble with are at the low end of the band. If you installed a 'digital wideband' aerial these often have poorest response at the low end.

You want a Group A aerial to go with your amplifier. A read of the satcure and aerialsandtv websites won't do any harm.

There are parts of Slough where reception is tricky due to terrain and large buildings between the receive aerials and the CP transmitter.

The frequencies you are having the most trouble with are at the low end of the band. If you installed a 'digital wideband' aerial these often have poorest response at the low end.

You want a Group A aerial to go with your amplifier. A read of the satcure and aerialsandtv websites won't do any harm.

There are parts of Slough where reception is tricky due to terrain and large buildings between the receive aerials and the CP transmitter.

I think if the temperature goes beyound 80 degree then It should have an knock out affect on the receiver. But I am not 100% sure, I think you should check it with someone else.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom