Can this plasma do HD? (pics included)

Paul -C-

Standard Member
Reaction score
First I should say hello, since this is my first post :hiya:

I've been reading the forums for a few months now, and found the posts really helpful :smashin:

Anyway, I have a question for you guys. Can my newly purchased plasma do HD? According to the instruction manual I think it can, but I only paid £1k for it, so I didn't think it would. It's the Maxent MX-42LE7 from dabs.com

Here's a couple of pics from the manual:

Thanks in advance!

Depends, it specifically states 60hz so it's not going to like the Sky HD signal which will presumably be at 50hz. It should be fine with e.g. a US Xbox 360 or US HD-DVD player , basically anything outputting at 60hz but UK stuff that outputs 50hz won't work. You could of course use a scaler for example to change 50hz input signal to 60hz output, some people find doing that more offensive on the eyes than others...

Cheers,
Andy.

Granted it's not an HD panel but that doesn't mean it won't accept and downscale a HD signal

So it might be possible to receive HD Sky?

How much does a basic scaler cost? Would changing the signal from 50Hz to 60Hz affect the quality a great deal?

Cheers!

A scaler capable of FRC to 50Hz will cost more than the plasma did. £1000 is the start price for such a thing. For the combined price you could certainly have bought one of the new samsungs, and nearly a Panasonic PV500. Another potential problem is HDCP, copy protection. If the DVI is not compliant with this, it will not accept digital connections from Sky or DVD players.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom