can this out put via HDMI

runner05

Banned
im am looking for a new amp, i amd not looking to got crazy and spend a lot of money,

i have just seen this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-STR-DG70...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i am new to all of this and was wondering if somebody could tell me if i bought this could i run a single hdmi cable to my tv and have all my other stuff ( sky hd, 360, ps3, ) all plugged in to the amp.

thanks in advance:thumbsup:

sideysid

Novice Member
Nope - HDMI is video switcher only. It does not process any audio or video through HDMI.

You would need to up the budget for the functionality you require. The Sony STR-DA3200ES in Sony's range is where you need to start at.

jw250

Novice Member
I'm afraid no, you can't do that with this amp. The feature that you describe is called 'HDMI Upconversion' and is quite a major thing for a piece of electronics to do. Basically this converts all your analogue signals and converts them into a digital HDMI signal - no mean feat. In addition to this some amps 'upscale' these signals in the process - which is a different feature, basically digitally upgrading standard definition to high-definition. You would need to look at either the Yamaha RXV-1700 and the RXV-2700 (which adds 'upscaling') - these are around the £1000+ mark and are superb. Denon though make some amps with these features that are a bit cheaper, very good but I prefer Yamaha for build and design.

Alternatively, if you are happy to do so, you could opt for an amp from the multitude of amps that 'upconvert' all analogue signals to analogue component and just run the HDMI seperately. 'Upscaling' is also available on some amps with this feature too.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello runner05

Whilst AV Receivers are quickly becoming some sort of Mission Control centre do keep in mind the biggest impact you ought to be aiming for when considering an amplifier upgrade is to the sound reproduction of your system.

Where your working too a limited budget I'd try and shut off the temptation to look for too many 'frills' in the spec sheet of your new AV Receiver.

You list SKY HD, Xbox360 and PS3 as your sources - of those only the Xbox lacks a Digital (HDMI) Output but it does already have an Analogue HD Output - its going to be mighty costly to include something worthwhile to convert the Xbox HD Output from Analogue to Digital; whereas installing 1 x HDMI cable + 1 x 3RCA cable from a lower cost AV Receiver with HDMI + Component 'switching' is going to cost very little.

You don't say which Amplifier your currently using - be aware a new all singing all dancing 'budget' unit may have more 'features' but it may not sound too different to what your already using.

Joe

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Hello runner05

Whilst AV Receivers are quickly becoming some sort of Mission Control centre do keep in mind the biggest impact you ought to be aiming for when considering an amplifier upgrade is to the sound reproduction of your system.

Where your working too a limited budget I'd try and shut off the temptation to look for too many 'frills' in the spec sheet of your new AV Receiver.

You list SKY HD, Xbox360 and PS3 as your sources - of those only the Xbox lacks a Digital (HDMI) Output but it does already have an Analogue HD Output - its going to be mighty costly to include something worthwhile to convert the Xbox HD Output from Analogue to Digital; whereas installing 1 x HDMI cable + 1 x 3RCA cable from a lower cost AV Receiver with HDMI + Component 'switching' is going to cost very little.

You don't say which Amplifier your currently using - be aware a new all singing all dancing 'budget' unit may have more 'features' but it may not sound too different to what your already using.

Joe
sensible advice :)

AV receivers may be concerned with both audio and video, but their primary role is still making sure your speakers get enough power to do the thing you need them to do, ie play loud without distortion!

with a low budget, concentrate on that, then worry about the video, if you have to run 2 cables from the amp to the display, well, its better to do that generally than lose sound quality.....unless of course you have a hidden installation and only one cable in the wall, then fair enough you might need to consider the video side more important.....

runner05

Banned
Hello runner05

Joe
my current amp is a STR-k740p, only a budget item i got off ebay. it sounds fine but i am in the process of build a new cinar room ( in my bed room :D )

i dont rely bother with budget, more of a case of i want it il save untill i can have it so if there is a much better amp for around £500-800 that does what i require then could somebody please advise.

i am after quality rather than cost, but having just bought a 507xd along with a tx200 projecter+ screen i am a little tight on cash atm so i will save some more, Its hard being a av enthusiast at the age of 17:rolleyes:

sideysid

Novice Member
i am after quality rather than cost, but having just bought a 507xd along with a tx200 projecter+ screen i am a little tight on cash atm so i will save some more, Its hard being a av enthusiast at the age of 17:rolleyes:
Go and take a look at the STR-DA3200ES as I mentioned before, as it will do all what you require in that you stated in your original post.

What Hi-Fi gave its little brother (STR-DA1200ES which I have :D) a 5* rating, and a lot of people are happy with it.

The STR-DA5200ES offers upscaling in addition to this, but theres been some rumblings on how successful it is at this.

Bear in mind also all (AFAIK) HDMI amps at the moment won't process the new sound formats (Dolby TrueHD) till HDMI 1.3 is implimented. At the moment the processing is done by the source and passed PCM down to the amp via HDMI, if this will concern you at all it might be worth waiting till the new year.