Can this inexpensive receiver possibly be any good?

VitaminX

Novice Member
I am looking for a small-footprint AV receiver that also will drive 2 pair of 4 ohms and one pair of 8 ohms speakers in a couple of rooms with decent stereo music quality. Replacing an old Sony STR-GX7ESII from the '90s.

Amazon has this one from Donner (sub-brand of Moukey), which is quite small, for $80-$100: 13.77" x 8.26" 3.54":

Donner MAMP5 4 Channel Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Power Amplifier - Peak Power 440W Home Theater Stereo Receiver USB, SD,FM, 2 Mic in Echo, RCA, LED, Speaker Selector - for Studio, Home Use

• High-power independent control: It has a stereo power amplifier with peak power of 440W, and four channels are independently controlled.
  • Bluetooth 5.0: The new Bluetooth 5.0 solution increases the stability, sound quality and distance of the product's Bluetooth connection, making it a true wireless connection device.
  • Multiple input modes: In order to meet the requirements of users, in addition to the Bluetooth function, the product can also be connected to SD card, USB disk, RCA input, ECHO microphone input and other modes. - - 4-way output: The product has enough power to support 4 groups of 8 speakers with 4-8 ohms and peak power within 50W.
  • FM function:With automatic search function, you can save up to 50 radio stations. Detailed operating instructions can be found in the manual or contact our customer staff.

It doesn't have any HDMI ports; I suppose this may be why it's bargain-priced.

Can't find anything about Donner except as a supplier of equipment for musicians, as is Moukey, with very good reviews.

Can this little receiver possibly be any good?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
In a word, no. It will use terrible quality components, have very low actual power - maybe 15w per channel and might well kill your speakers with very high distortion.

These are great for buyers in developing countries where they represent value for money and where functionality like karaoke microphone inputs are sought after rather than being a device designed for high quality sound reproduction.

If i were you, I would look for an older non-hdmi receiver in 2nd hand shops, ebay etc. You can get some pretty high end kit that stands up against modern equipment very well, is well built and sounds fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom