Can this be done with a Yam 2600 (Complex Question I think)???

nictry

Distinguished Member
I currently have 2 DVD players and a Sky STB through a JS tech Scart to Component connected through my 2600. I use the optical audio and component for my Arcam DVD, the coaxial and component for the Pio 575 DVD (kids one) and optical and component for the Sky connection. All then come out of the 2600 by both component and HDMI (although component is a clearer pic)

Essentially I have no more component inputs but do have the 2 HDMI inputs so if I were to connect a HD DVD player I would have to send the signal via HDMI into the 2600 however this is the problem I only have the option of an optical audio input on a non-video connection eg CD/MD etc. So two questions, can I assign the optical audio to the input HDMI and also can I output via component even though I am inputting HDMI?

I have RTFM over and over and cannot find out whether this is possible and currently don't have an HDMI player to connect up and try. Before anyone suggests it I also can't 'lose' one of the DVD players as if/when I connect the HD DVD it will only play R1 DVDs so need to keep both the DVD players and obviously Sky?

Another option is an optical splitter (2 inputs into the one on the amp?)but this still needs to 'connect' to the correct HDMI input from the HD DVD so then I will have two DVD players both optical connected to the amp but one input into component (DVD input) and one HDMI (non assigned) so will they both work through the Amp? :lease: :confused:

L

lampekap

1.) HDMI also includes digital sound so you don't have to use an optical input.

(With the older v2400 model I can assign the video input to any (audio) source. Or assign the coaxial and optical inputs to any (video) source. So if you have to, it should be no problem with the v2600 I guess)

2.) If your (HD)dvd player outputs via HDMI I expect the PQ to be better if you set the receiver to output through HDMI too.

nictry

Distinguished Member
lampekap said:
1.) HDMI also includes digital sound so you don't have to use an optical input.

(With the older v2400 model I can assign the video input to any (audio) source. Or assign the coaxial and optical inputs to any (video) source. So if you have to, it should be no problem with the v2600 I guess)

2.) If your (HD)dvd player outputs via HDMI I expect the PQ to be better if you set the receiver to output through HDMI too.
Re (1) this confuses me, if I am outputting HDMI to a panel (ie no speakers) then will the 2600 know to output video to the panel and sound to the speakers?????

L

lampekap

I assume it handles the received sound just like with all other inputs ;) The received sound is output through the speakers when the source is selected.

Check page 112 and on for info about how the receiver handles hdmi.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom