Can this be done using an HDMI cable?

Adrian_london

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently bought a Sony RDR-HXD890 and have a V+ box and a nice Panasonic TV (which has 2 HDMI sockets).

What I'd like to do is this; I want to move my XHD890 and the V+ box to a different part of the room and keep the tv where it is.

I am assuming that I can just use a scart lead to connect the V+ box and the HXD890 to each other and then a long HDMI cable (probably 10m) from the HXD890 to the television. I realise that whenever I want to watch TV then I'll have to have the HXD890 switched on.

Am I correct? Also, will there be a major drop in quality as the cable is 10m long?

I know this might sound like a stupid question but I really have no idea and I don't want to spend £30 on a long HDMI cable if it isn't going to work.

Adrian

If you need a 10m HDMI cable then it's worth investing in a decent one, from experience.

If you need a 10m HDMI cable then it's worth investing in a decent one, from experience.

Thank you very much for your speedy responses Big_Si_Owen and Kempez. Can you please guide me to a decent HDMI cable. I have no experience with this whatsoever.

I'm sure you're going to ask how much am I looking to spend.....well, I have no idea on what is good or bad so lets just say £50 and I would be looking for a white cable if possible. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't.

Beware of possible problems.

Note some of these mentioned in this from an HDMI Info source:

Cable length

The HDMI specification does not define a maximum cable length, but because of signal attenuation there is an upper limit to how long HDMI cables can be made. The length of an HDMI cable depends on the construction quality and the materials used in the cable.
Adaptive equalization can be used to compensate for the signal attenuation and inter symbol interference caused by long cables.

A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[58] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft).[58] The HDMI website has stated that many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as a Category 2 cable but cautions that only Category 2 tested cables are guaranteed to work.[62]

Long cable lengths can cause instability of HDCP and blinking on the screen due to the weakened DDC signal which HDCP requires.

Several companies offer amplifiers, equalizers, and repeaters that can string several standard HDMI cables together. Active HDMI cables use electronics within the cable to boost the signal and allow for HDMI cables of up to 30 meters (98 ft). HDMI extenders that are based on dual Category 5/Category 6 cable can extend HDMI to 250 meters (820 ft) while HDMI extenders based on optical fibre can extend HDMI to 300 meters (980 ft)

I'd recommend Mark Grant HDMI cable :)

I cant see why it should be difficult. I would expect it will be simple HDMI In and HDMI out. [ so two leads would be required - perhaps one long, one short]

What is not clear is when it needs external power. [ 5V - Not supplied ]
It is implied that for most applications it will draw power from the HDMI lead itself.

Why not try the 10 metre lead by itself first... and only get the booster if you encounter problems?
Unless you are determined to whack a full 1080p across it, it may be OK.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom