Can there be TOO much info?

It is a bit chicken and egg, but the panny 500 will satisfy (anyone) with
its freeview and sky pq, it truly is the best around.

Hi def "ready" if you subscribe :)

Cant help to wonder though how tottie will look in hidef, some look quite tidy on a so so screen, will hidef reveal them as mingers ?

More to think of :D

Sharpy, you echo my point.

If those of us here don't know if we're making a superb purchase or burning £20 notes, what chance your average punter?

All this confusion has been caused entirely, completely, and 100% by the manufacturers/broadcasters not deciding to (A) wait until 1080 sets are ready (don't bother with 720 - bypass it - wait a couple of years), or (B) committing to 720, and refusing to manufacture/broadscast anything in 1080 until after at least 2015.

They could have done that. They didn't. Their problem if HD doesn't take off.

I'm rapidly coming round to thinking I'll go for 720.

My 6 foot wide screen shows very little evidence of line structure, pixels, etc in DVD PAL Progressive. I'm sure it could be better, but I'm not convinced it can be all THAT much better. I think we could end up chasing more and more lines for smaller and smaller improvements in quality.

Steve W

Well, I have just returned from Currys. The PV500 does look good and the contrast blew most of the other similar sized plasmas into the weeds. The HD ready screens were it seems showing a HD loop to show off the technology, but standing looking at a row of tellys in a bright electical shop is never ideal. They looked good though, but not so good that I was licking the screens.

The Hitachi PD7200 was next to the Panasonic and even though it is 1024 x 1024, did not look as good (although how well Currys set these up, who knows)

Therefore, on the basis we need a telly and don't want to buy a CRT, it's the Panasonic.

I do agree the point of diminishing returns with higher and higher resolutions. I remember buying hifi kit and trying to convince myself that the extra money spent had really delivered those subtle nuances that all the reviews talked about........and then concluded it was a load of tosh and that often, the reviewers live in thier own little world where mere mortals cannot tell the differences that they gibber on about.

And as for totty looking better in high def, if you stood a babe behind a plain sheet of glass I have no doubt there would be questions about the contrast and motion blurring................or am I being a cynic?

Sharpy14 said:
And as for totty looking better in high def, if you stood a babe behind a plain sheet of glass I have no doubt there would be questions about the contrast and motion blurring................or am I being a cynic?

Nah, you're just being very cynical. There'd be more discussion as to whether they were real or fake!! :D

When you get your new TV don't forget you will need the latest accessories required for it !
New eyes - exclusive to HDTV owners (fanatics) - now available in the USA at reduced rates.
The cheaper models you can fit yourself - just send off for them and your viewing experience guaranteed to be improved

The funny thing was, when I was standing in Currys, with my better half, looking at these tellys, she said "are you not going to ask the sales guy something", to which I snootily responded "why would I?.......I know much more than they do", to which she replied "oh good, so where are the speakers then, I can see them on that one, but not on the Panasonic?"

"Ermm (quickly reading the ticket),.............the contrast ratio of this one is great, and erm..............(sigh of relief as I find the bit on the ticket)........they are built in, thats them there........built in, see, no need to ask"

A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

So.........wall mounting, you nail it through the middle right?

can some please explain to this newbie why 1080i is better than 720p? I confused by the postings here, we have 720p and 1080i as the HD formats for the future (and present), there are no other contenders I know of.....

Nic,

Bigger numbers must always mean it is better, it's the law and being the newbie, the general jist seems to be that 1080i will be the norm (and possibly the only format) in a few years (with everyone else having to downscale on their paltry 768 plasmas), whether this is better than 720 progressive I don't know, but can almost hear 1000 forum members rushing to their keyboards re the merits of interlacing and various other technical details.

I am quite chuffed that a newbie has managed to confuse someone in here, perhaps my next post should be in Urdu, just to mix it up a bit

the general jist seems to be that 1080i will be the norm (and possibly the only format) in a few years
Sky HD will have both 720 and 1080 outputs - that's unlikely to change. And the myriad of companies making HD DVD and BluRay products will ensure there will always be choice to select a 720 outputting model!

so as a current 1080i user, why do I choose to deinterlace and scale to 720p?

Nic Rhodes said:
so as a current 1080i user, why do I choose to deinterlace and scale to 720p?

If you have a 1080/50i display then you don't. However there are very few decent 1080/50i native displays available in the UK - so 720/50p channels are the main choice available at the moment. 1080/50p panels are still not widely available at a price-point that many can afford.

(Now if 1080/50i CRT sets were more widely available...)

Techie alert.............techie alert

Anyone who is just trying to decide on a plasma to buy, look away now..............move along........move along please........there is nothing to see here...............

Which neatly returns me to my post

"Can there be too much info?"..................oh the irony of it all

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom