Can the Xbox 360 dashboard be changed?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by AVRocky, Mar 25, 2006.

1. AVRocky

AVRocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I was wondering because XBLive representatives have said alot of the features of the 360 system can be changed via patches, and so after seeing the PS3 HUD, it looks really old and crappy, kinda chunky and laggy lol.

So can it be updated? Or can they only patch certain features of the dashboard e.g. being able to browse while downloading in the background (which they are working on now).

I'd like it to look alot better, change the whole template feel to it - or is that not possible?

2. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Im quite happy with the 360 dashboard, Its clean cut and has an ease of use, Can it be improved? Everthing can be improved on i guess, Im easily pleased though to be honest :rolleyes:

3. AVRocky

AVRocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Sorry i meant the menu that comes up when you press the XBox Guide button...

4. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Oh ok hehe :blush:

5. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I'd like to see the dashboard given a facelift. I like the blade system and the guide button system, but each blade relies too much on text. For instance when browesing marketplace or the arcade games you can download, or trailers, its all just plain boring text. Basically I suppose I'd like more pictures.

6. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I'd like to believe that they can change a whole lot on the 360, not that i'm unhappy, it'd just be nice to see the system update and freshen up once in a while.

I'm sure M$ have a few things up there sleeve esp. with the PS3 launch news re-surfacing recently.

7. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    I suppose the current difference is that the XBox dashboard is out now, it's real, it works and is simple.easy to use.

So far, all you've seen of the PS3 interface are some slides, let's wait and see how it works out in reality. Might look and work fine whilst one guys demoing it but will it be scalable enough to handle thousands of users at once trouble free?

8. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going by those PS3 Screens, it seems that it will be rather identical to the 360 graphics wise.

The menus there which show the HUD looks the same as a linux styling which would make sense

The dashboard is fully updatable and hopefully at some point we will be able to do moew with it.

The extra blade for the camera will probably ne added in a few months aswell as another for the apparent MSN messaging area

9. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I like the Xbox 360 hud, but i also love the PS3 hud. Anyone know where we can get a vid from that conference.

10. AVRocky

AVRocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It would be great if they offered different kind of template dashboards, even at the cost of money! I would pay for a different HUD, you know ,to further personalise my 360. Already the wallpapers look awesome aswell as the customisation of the blades, but at the end of the day, they're still blades.

But whats the menu called? The Xbox guide? It slides from the left when you press the button on the controller. It looks horrible! That PS3 hud looks more slick and modern.

11. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    But you can already, unless I'm confused with what you are wnating to change. I mean in settings you can change the dashboard themes, I love the PG3 one myself, much nicer than the standard.

12. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    am i the only one who doesnt like the PS3 HUD? now before i get any fanboy abuse i have a psp, gamecube, ps2, ps1, commadore 64 etc.

it looks to fiddly and looks like it could be annoying after a while. it looks like they have 'borrowed' the in game alerts and motto systems from microsoft.

i like it how people have already forgotten what we used to have as a 'hud' ie. changing the time and looking at your memory cards and thats it. the hud for the 360 is a huge leap on what we had before, i like it (although i do agree with the point about the marketplace being a bit bland) its simple and gets to the point. the more you try to make things look nicer the more complicated they get and the more people will aviod them.

:) :thumbsup:

13. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Is it just me or does the PS3 HUD just look like a souped up version of the PSP dashboard?

Now there is nothing wrong with the PSp front end and I find it as easy to use as the 360 but I wouldn't say that those shots of the PS3 hud are any better than what we have on the 360?

As said above, the 360 is here now and is working...those pics show something that is not available yet so there may be changes. We saw pictures of personalised gamertag pics for the 360 when the dashboard was first shown but this has not happened...it may do when the camera is released but I doubt it due to people abusing the ability!

I agree that when the camera and messaging services appear we will see a lot more interactivity on the 360 front end.

14. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    That's the direction Sony is going in with their multimedia products. It's basically a standard interface that will be used by all making it simple for people to navigate assuming they own various Sony products. I can't remember what they call it but I believe it starts with an X, possibly XMB.

15. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    all sounds very interesting and a nice rocket up the arse of microsoft. I would expect to see some interesting stuff coming in the future from them.

16. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We may not know it yet but i think Microsoft have alot of great things planned for the 360. I see the marketplace especially taking off when the PS3is launched

17. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I have downloaded the GRAW theme for my dashboard, adds pictures etc..to the background...nice echange.

18. AVRocky

AVRocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I think the Graffitti theme looks the best:thumbsup:

19. AVRocky

AVRocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I hear things that suggest that there could be an MSN Messenger on Live that would allow Live users to connect via their hotmail account and talk normally to people on their desktops.

a) is this going to happen?
    b? CAN it happen?

20. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that they definately intend to do the msn messanger thing on the 360 and maybe even web browsing in the future. I might mean another blade though on the dashboard